Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Device Not Showing as Supervised After Full Erase - Still showing up as managed in ABM Dashboard.

I wanted to swap a particular device (iPad 6th Gen - Cell Enabled) over to our other MDM server, both of which are set up in our ABM. And both have "Allow this MDM Server to release devices" turned OFF.

The device was originally on MDM 1. I changed the "MDM Server" option for the device, to MDM 2. My understanding is that this shouldn't break any connections, nor should it trigger any action. It is only used when the device is going through initial setup, it knows what MDM service to get auto-enrolled in.

So after waiting 10 minutes or so, I removed the device from MDM 1, which triggers an "Erase all content and settings" by default.

After the device finished erasing, I have it here booted up, and it is no longer supervised by our ABM! Not what I was after at all!

Our ABM online dashboard still shows the device, and the "Release from Organization" button is NOT greyed out, it is available to click! Meaning as far as the dashboard knows, the device is supposed to be registered.

Where did I go wrong?

This device was in our ABM originally by way of an authorized reseller program (all our devices are set up this way). I hear it's a huge pain, to not only use Apple Configurator, but also to try and use Apple Configurator on a device that was previously registered to an ABM by way of an authorized reseller program. Not to mention this is not feasible at scale.

iPad (6th generation)

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 10:13 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Aug 15, 2023 2:14 PM in response to celliott147

Apologies, but this does not make any sense. Regardless of MDM configuration, when the device boots up for initial setup, we should still be prompted with the following screen:

If MDM is misconfigured, it will be on the very next step, that we should receive either a timeout error, or an error that says the configurations could not be pulled. We are aware of this.

The problem is that the screen from the picture above does not show up at all. You can skip on through all the initial setup prompts just like on a normal/personal iOS device. And when initial setup is done, if you go into Settings app, the top banner/disclaimer, is NOT present. The device is not supervised by our ABM anymore, and we did not use any "un-enroll button" in our ABM dashboard.

Aug 17, 2023 7:59 AM in response to csmGroup

If you have not connected your MDM to ABM properly, and then in ABM assigned the device to that MDM, then you will not see one of those screens. If the token is not valid to connect the MDM, whether because it is expired (it expires yearly) or because the account that connected it is locked out (I have a ticket in with Apple because this shouldn't happen - and it doesn't happen with a push cert or VPP token), then you will also not see that screen. In your MDM, you'll want to make sure there are no errors on the configuration settings. This should indicate whether the token is expired or invalidated because of lockout (though it may not depending on the MDM).

Either way, the first step I would take is renew the token connecting the MDM to ABM and try again.

Aug 17, 2023 1:25 PM in response to csmGroup

Log into ABM and search for the device's serial number. When the record appears, what is its status? Is it "released?" Is it assigned to an MDM? Is it assigned to the correct MDM?

If the unit is released, then it sounds like you may be permitting hardware release from your MDM. To determine if this is the case, go into ABM, select your name in the lower left corner and choose Preferences from the pop up menu. In the middle column, select the MDM server that the device was originally enrolled. In the right panel, press the edit button. Is the box "Allow this MDM Server to release devices" checked or unchecked? If checked, then hardware can be dropped from chain of custody from the MDM (released from ABM). If unchecked, then hardware can only be released from ABM. If the unit is released they you either need to reach out to your reseller and ask for it to be reassigned (must be the reseller who sold that particular device) or you can use Apple Configurator to sideload the asset back into ABM.

Go back to the device record by searching for its serial number. Is it assigned to an MDM? If it is assigned to the wrong MDM, then reassign it in ABM. While on the device record, hit the Edit MDM Server button at the top of the right panel. Assign the device to the correct MDM. What up to 15 minutes to make sure your MDM server syncs with ABM. (It is usually faster but...)

Ok, now there still may be an issue on the MDM. Log into your MDM and review the prestage policy. Do you have it set to automatically assign new devices? If not, then manually assign the device to the prestage policy. If you have a device assigned to an MDM server in ABM but do not associate the device to a prestage policy in the MDM, then the device goes nowhere. Once again, after assigning the asset tot he prestage, wait a couple of minutes. Then reset the device so you can go through the setup assistant. Remember, resetting the device will delete all data.

Hope this is helpful. Start with the serial number and validate the state and presence of the device through the entire management chain. This starts in ABM and flows through the MDM.

Reid

Aug 21, 2023 1:24 PM in response to celliott147

Good thoughts.

However, I can confirm that the connection is solid and configured.

I am using Apple Configurator method for re-enrolling the devices that were released, back into our ABM. Upon following this normal procedure, when the time comes, it pulls config from either MDM (tested both) service fine.

I guess I will keep testing with other devices and see how it goes. The premise is that we are moving from MDM1 to MDM2, and our thought was to first change the MDM Server assignment in ABM (again, this doesn't do anything when changed. Just getting it ready). Then when the devices themselves are remote wiped, when they start back up and go through initial setup, they will this time enroll in MDM2. But instead with these devices, they were released from ABM completely.

Device Not Showing as Supervised After Full Erase - Still showing up as managed in ABM Dashboard.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.