MacBook Air won't turn on after SMC reset

I have a 2018 MacBook Air, model A1932, and it is currently using MacOS Ventura. Today, some time in the morning, I noticed that my battery icon was saying "Plugged in, but not charging." I had run into this exact situation about 4 months ago, but I never expected it to happen again. After seeing this, I went to go plug it in, but it still showed the not charging symbol. Even when I unplugged it, the symbol was frozen in place. I asked for help, and we found something called an SMC reset. We decided to try it, and we took the steps to perform it. Control-Option-Shift-Power. We performed this right as the MacBook was booting up from a manual shutdown. As the computer was booting up and we were holding the keys, the Apple logo flashed on screen for about half a second, indicating boot up, but then the screen went black, and it's internal noises slowly began to fade. We have not been able to get it to boot up ever since this happened. It's been about 3 1/2 hours since we did this, and i'm unsure of what to do. I've tried a lit of different things from the internet myself, but none of them have been successful. What should I do?

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 1:50 PM

Hi there, try this instructions to see if you can fix this issue

If your Mac seems to be turned on but the screen remains blank, follow the appropriate steps depending on whether you're using a Mac with Apple silicon.

Your 2018 MacBook Air is an intel Mac, so we're going to continue following the instructions for Intel Macs

1. Press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds.
  2. Press and release the power button, then immediately press and hold Command (⌘)-R until you see an Apple logo or other image.

If you started up from macOS Recovery, you should see a utilities window that includes Disk Utility. Select Disk Utility, then click Continue and follow the steps in this article:

Use Disk Utility to repair your startup disk

If Disk Utility found no errors, reinstall macOS.

If Disk Utility found errors and repaired them, restart your Mac. If the issue returns after restarting, reinstall macOS.

All of the above steps are helping if you can startup from macOS recovery. But what if you cannot? Please follow these instructions

If you can't start up from macOS Recovery, your Mac might not be turning on at all:

If your Mac doesn't turn on

If you're using an external display instead of a built-in display, make sure that the issue isn't with your external display:

If your external display is dark or low resolution

If the issue continues, contact Apple Support

Best of luck!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2023 1:50 PM in response to Fern-2k7

Hi there, try this instructions to see if you can fix this issue

If your Mac seems to be turned on but the screen remains blank, follow the appropriate steps depending on whether you're using a Mac with Apple silicon.

Your 2018 MacBook Air is an intel Mac, so we're going to continue following the instructions for Intel Macs

1. Press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds.
  2. Press and release the power button, then immediately press and hold Command (⌘)-R until you see an Apple logo or other image.

If you started up from macOS Recovery, you should see a utilities window that includes Disk Utility. Select Disk Utility, then click Continue and follow the steps in this article:

Use Disk Utility to repair your startup disk

If Disk Utility found no errors, reinstall macOS.

If Disk Utility found errors and repaired them, restart your Mac. If the issue returns after restarting, reinstall macOS.

All of the above steps are helping if you can startup from macOS recovery. But what if you cannot? Please follow these instructions

If you can't start up from macOS Recovery, your Mac might not be turning on at all:

If your Mac doesn't turn on

If you're using an external display instead of a built-in display, make sure that the issue isn't with your external display:

If your external display is dark or low resolution

If the issue continues, contact Apple Support

Best of luck!

MacBook Air won't turn on after SMC reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.