MacBook screen has vertical green lines, but only when there is something black on the screen.

For the MacBook Air M1, I recently noticed vertical green lines running down my screen, but only when the screen is black. It doesn't appear for any other colour.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 11:22 AM

This potentially can be a hardware issue that could relate to one, or more, of the following components:

• The display itself.
  • The display ribbon between the logic board & the display.
  • The integrated or discrete GPU.
  • The logic board.

Regardless, what have you tried, so far yourself to resolve this so that we don't offer potential solutions that may not have already worked for you? Do you have AppleCare+ with this laptop?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2023 11:22 AM in response to Soundlol

This potentially can be a hardware issue that could relate to one, or more, of the following components:

• The display itself.
  • The display ribbon between the logic board & the display.
  • The integrated or discrete GPU.
  • The logic board.

Regardless, what have you tried, so far yourself to resolve this so that we don't offer potential solutions that may not have already worked for you? Do you have AppleCare+ with this laptop?

Aug 7, 2023 12:02 PM in response to Soundlol

As you can imagine only an Apple Technician can provide you with an accurate repair cost, based on what they find. Even without AppleCare+ every Mac comes with a one-year limited hardware warranty that covers manufacturing defects. Should this be the case, the cost of the repair may come with either little or no out-of-pocket expense to you.

The following support article should provide some cost details as well: Mac Service and Repair - Apple Support

Aug 7, 2023 11:52 AM in response to Tesserax

Hi, thanks for the comment.

I've tried basic troubleshooting like restarting my MacBook and updating the software but it hasn't really changed anything. I haven't seen anybody else online with this problem so I don't really know what to do for it.

If the issue is related to hardware, what would be the most likely cause of it ? (If it's possible to guess)

I don't have AppleCare on this device unfortunately so if I could have an estimate for the cost of the repair, that would be very helpful.

MacBook screen has vertical green lines, but only when there is something black on the screen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.