Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iPad overheating when using notes and Apple Pencil

Hi,

I have the 2020 iPad Pro 12.9 inches. I have been using it for education, and recreationally for the past three years. I have recently noticed that it overheats when I am using it to take handwritten notes on the Notes app with my Apple Pencil. It becomes physically hot to touch and I have to take a break so I don’t burn myself. The battery also drains faster. Just now, I went from 67->33% in one hour while using the Notes app and Apple Pencil combination. Usually, the fully charged iPad lasts me two days if I do not take notes. This problem does not happen when I am using the Apple Pencil with other apps (for even longer durations). I have used OneNote, Procreate, Paper by WeTransfer, MediBang Paint, etc.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 11:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2024 6:28 AM

I have same issues with my iPad Air5(m1) when using notes with pencil.

apple please fix this issue.

Similar questions

25 replies

Jan 28, 2024 5:47 AM in response to LotusPilot

That doesn't explain how only certain tasks, such as using the Apple Notes app with the Pencil, causes the iPad to literally reach burning hot body temperatures unlike with ANY other app of the same kind (e.g. OneNote, ProCreate, GoodNotes, Notability, etc.).

The Apple Notes app, along with the Files app, need a serious fix to be able to better manage memory and power consumption on the iPad.

Dec 15, 2023 3:55 AM in response to sp2369

I agree. The notes app (from what I thought) is a simple app. I take handwritten notes as well, and my iPad mini 6 gets very hot. It hasn’t been to the point where it burns me, but it definitely warms my fingers on a cold day. My iPad doesn’t get this hot for any other task. Including when it was first setup. I even have problems with the notes app making my computer very hot as well. The fans have to turn on.

My point is, I didn’t think the notes app was so intensively CPU driven. 🙃

Feb 29, 2024 10:21 AM in response to LotusPilot

We aren't experiencing defective iPads, this is a common problem, across many different makes of iPad.

If I had to guess, I would say that the handwriting feature of the Notes app is not very well optimised, and once you've been writing on it for an extended period, perhaps an hour or so, something happens.

The iPad becomes way too hot, which downclocks the CPU, and the registration of the keystrokes gets slow and janky.

Using the same iPad, using the same Pen, but switching to Notability, no more overheating, no janky performance, not battery being drained.

This is a serious issue with the Notes app, as it looks like it just can't be used for serious notetaking.

Apr 14, 2024 11:51 PM in response to LotusPilot

You mentioned, brightness, Aug 7, 2023 11:51 AM in response to sp2369.

This isn't a hardware issue, as it is not common to a specific type of iPad.

This is a software issue related to the Notes app on iPad. Switching to an other notetaking app, doesn't cause the overheating.

This isn't something that an Apple store / Genius bar employee can do anything about, or would it be even something that could be practically demonstrated to them. Sitting around in an Apple store, isn't going to help, it is really just a waste of time, and they will likely telling you any number of inaccurate things, as they try and replace or upsell you on another iPad.

This is something that needs to be raised on a technical level to Apple themselves, and hopefully to the Notes app on iPadOS team. So, it would be better to call Apple Support, and ask that you be connected to a technician, who then can write it up.

Aug 7, 2023 11:51 AM in response to sp2369

It is not unusual for an iPad to become warm when being used - more so when using some types of iPad case. High screen brightness and/or CPU intensive Apps will also create more heat.

The key point is that whilst your iPad may become very warm in normal use, the iPad should not become uncomfortably hot to handle. If your iPad is becoming too hot to hold, you should take your iPad along to the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store - where the technicians can examine and test your iPad for faults.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Apr 12, 2024 5:20 AM in response to LotusPilot

This isn't a proper response to the issue.

This is across iPad models, and there is nothing someone at a Genius bar is going to be able to do about it. The behaviour only occurs with the Apple Notes app, and after writing on it with the Apple Pencil for an hour. Even if you get a Genius bar assistant to sit there watching you write something for an hour to recreate the issue, they still aren't going to be in a position to do anything about the problem.

As it looks, it is an optimisation problem with the handwriting feature on Apple Notes for iPad.

Telling people to change the brightness of their screen, or going to a Genius Bar (I don't live in a country with Apple stores), isn't going to help.

iPad overheating when using notes and Apple Pencil

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.