Photos Staying in Imports

Photos on Mac (Monterey) show only two people in the People tab in Photos, even though I have imported other photos of people. I can find them in recent imports but I can't move them into People. It says that the Mac scans photos and when you have enough photos of someone it will put them in People but what about one-off photos? Should I create my own album and put them in there?

I am a techno dummy but if someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong I will appreciate it.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 5:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 7:27 AM

Photos scans pictures and finds what it thinks are faces. You can see the names in a picture if you go to "View>Show Face Names." But at first they will say "unnamed," since it doesn't know who's who.

If you click in the "unnamed" field on a picture, you can type a name, and Photos will make a person album and try to gather all the similar people into that album, changing "unnamed" to the name. Sometimes Photos gets it wrong, of course.

If you see someone in a picture that Photos hasn't recognized as a face, then you can add a name by opening the Info window (⌘i) and choosing the little circle with a + sign. A circle appears on the picture, and you can move it to the right person and enter a name.

Much of that can be found in this article.

Find and identify photos of people in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

Let us know if this helps, and check back with us with more questions...

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2023 7:27 AM in response to Ophir1851

Photos scans pictures and finds what it thinks are faces. You can see the names in a picture if you go to "View>Show Face Names." But at first they will say "unnamed," since it doesn't know who's who.

If you click in the "unnamed" field on a picture, you can type a name, and Photos will make a person album and try to gather all the similar people into that album, changing "unnamed" to the name. Sometimes Photos gets it wrong, of course.

If you see someone in a picture that Photos hasn't recognized as a face, then you can add a name by opening the Info window (⌘i) and choosing the little circle with a + sign. A circle appears on the picture, and you can move it to the right person and enter a name.

Much of that can be found in this article.

Find and identify photos of people in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

Let us know if this helps, and check back with us with more questions...

Photos Staying in Imports

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.