Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Buying an iPhone 14, then finding months later that it has been blacklisted.

I want to buy a brand new and sealed iphone 14 on ebay, but

I saw an article that says that scammers will sell a brand new, sealed iphone

they stole, or claimed it as stolen, then they get a new phone, and then they

put they claimed was stolen for sale on eBay, and it is blacklisted.

The article said that the person had the new phone for a few

months and it wasn’t blacklisted until after having for a few months.

If I buy an iphone and it turns out to be blacklisted 4 to 6

months after I’ve had it, and I lose all access to it does that mean I’m

screwed or is there a solution to get my phone un-blacklisted?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

iPhone 8, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 9:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 10:24 PM

Apple gives iPhone owners the tools to mark a stolen phone as Lost, but it's the owner (not Apple) who decides if, and when, to do so.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support

The point of Activation Lock is in large part, to make phones useless to thieves. If stolen phones become bricks, and this is well-known, then fences and customers for used phones stop paying for "bricks" and thieves have a much smaller incentive to steal iPhones in the first place.

Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

It worked for car stereos.

Here's an excellent article by another Apple Community poster.

Apple Community – The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying a Used iPad/iPhone

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2023 10:24 PM in response to junkmails1

Apple gives iPhone owners the tools to mark a stolen phone as Lost, but it's the owner (not Apple) who decides if, and when, to do so.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support

The point of Activation Lock is in large part, to make phones useless to thieves. If stolen phones become bricks, and this is well-known, then fences and customers for used phones stop paying for "bricks" and thieves have a much smaller incentive to steal iPhones in the first place.

Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

It worked for car stereos.

Here's an excellent article by another Apple Community poster.

Apple Community – The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying a Used iPad/iPhone

Aug 9, 2023 7:03 PM in response to Servant of Cats

Why in the world would I knowingly buy a phone that was stolen? This community doesn't seem to be very helpful. I feel that the people that respond to my inquiry are a bit on the condescending side.

To recap what I said before: I read an article that said some sellers steal from Apple, and sell on eBay. If I know that a phone might be stolen, I would never buy it, but that doesn't mean that I am going to pay full price at the Apple store. I want to buy it cheaper on eBay, and am basically inquiring ahead of time as to what I can do. Not all brand new phones sold on eBay are stolen phones.

Anyway, someone on another website was more helpful. They suggested that I buy the phone with PayPal so I have up to 180 days to file a claim and get my money back if some unscrupulous seller on eBay sells me a stolen phone that is blacklisted after I've had it for a few months.

I just realized why I get the feeling that responders to my inquiry seem to be trying to dissuade me from buying elsewhere other than from Apple. This is an Apple community. I obviously came to the wrong place for an answer to my inquiry. My-bad.

Aug 7, 2023 10:01 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

That’s messed up. Your answer doesn’t sound right to me. If

I were to buy an iPhone, I would immediately check to see if it’s blacklisted,

and if it is, I would get my money back from eBay’s buyer protection guarantee,

but if it’s not blacklisted until month’s later because Apple took their time

putting it on blacklist, that would really be messed up and unfair to me. There

has to be a solution to the problem, and a way to un-blacklist it. I found a

website that says they can un-blacklist a phone for a fee, and it’s all done online.

Here is the article I read about the person that was sold a blacklisted

phone:

Bought an iPhone and found out later it's… - Apple Community

Aug 9, 2023 7:25 PM in response to junkmails1

Hello junkmails1!

If you want to buy a second-hand or used iPhone for a cheaper price, that is understandable, and there’s nothing wrong with it. In fact, I’ve done so myself.

HOWEVER! One can very, very easily be ripped off of their hard earned money.

I strongly recommend you to buy a second hand device with the advice in the following User Tip in mind: The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying … - Apple Community.

The User Tip covers various topics relevant to buying used iPhones, and it cannot hurt you to carefully read it over. The author agrees with most of your points, and will educate you in “what you should do.”

Following the instructions and advice presented, you will never come home with a “brick”, while the scammer is laughing his fist full at his good fortune.

If you have further questions for us, please do not hesitate to ask, as there are many very knowledgeable people here.

Have a lovely day!

Aug 9, 2023 7:08 PM in response to junkmails1

eBay is not an authorized distributor of iPhones. no authorized distributor of iPhones will sell iPhones on eBay.

If you buy from eBay, you're getting a used / gray market phone. There is no telling where it was sourced.

A common scam is for someone to get a new phone from their carrier, sell it on eBay or elsewhere to recoup some of the cost, then report the phone stolen and get it replaced using insurance from their carrier. That results in the phone being blacklisted.

No one here will advise you to purchase any Apple device on eBay. it's too easy for the seller or original owner to brick it months after the sale, when eBay's buyer protection period has expired.

TANSTAAFL.

If you insist on finding a "deal", you're likely to get ripped off.

Aug 9, 2023 7:11 PM in response to junkmails1

Re: “I want to buy a brand new and sealed iphone 14 on ebay”

eBay is not the first place that I would look for a new, sealed instance of a phone from the latest and greatest generation of iPhones.

How many eBay sellers are authorized Apple resellers? Wouldn’t you want to buy an expensive “latest and greatest” phone from a channel where you could get proper warranty service and support if there was a defect in your particular phone? Or at least to buy from a “known” gray market seller and not from what might be the online equivalent of a flea market vendor?

Buying an iPhone 14, then finding months later that it has been blacklisted.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.