Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

M2 Pro Mac Mini dual displays

I have an M2 Pro Mac Mini. Can I connect one thunderbolt cable from my Mac to an OWC thunderbolt dock, then from there, output to two 4K displays using USB-C cables? Seeing a lot of mixed information online.

Mac mini (M2 Pro, 2023)

Posted on Aug 8, 2023 5:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2023 2:49 PM

Wanted to reply back and say that I bought a Caldigit Element thunderbolt hub and it works great. From the Mac Mini, I’m running a thunderbolt cable to the hub, then two USB-C cables out, one to each 4K monitor.

7 replies

Aug 8, 2023 7:59 PM in response to Servant of Cats

Servant of Cats wrote:

The regular M2 Mac Mini only supports two displays. But it's more flexible than the M1 Mac Mini about how you attach them.

If you like, you can attach both displays via USB-C (DisplayPort) or Thunderbolt. (Leaving the HDMI port open.) I believe this is why the M2 Mini has Thunderbolt 4, where the M1 Mini has Thunderbolt 3.

That is correct, I was thinking of the M1 Mac mini. Thank you!

Aug 8, 2023 7:06 PM in response to den.thed

den.thed wrote:

If you only have an M2 Mac mini, then it only supports two displays, one on the HDMI port and one on a Thunderbolt port.

The regular M2 Mac Mini only supports two displays. But it's more flexible than the M1 Mac Mini about how you attach them.

If you like, you can attach both displays via USB-C (DisplayPort) or Thunderbolt. (Leaving the HDMI port open.) I believe this is why the M2 Mini has Thunderbolt 4, where the M1 Mini has Thunderbolt 3.

Aug 8, 2023 9:06 PM in response to den.thed

Thanks. Yes I’ve read that I can use two cables, one for each display, but I’m hoping I can do it with one, as I have to switch back and forth between the Mac and my pc laptop. Unplugging one cable from the dock and plugging another one in will be easier than unplugging two cables. Then on top of that, I’ll gain a few extra ports from the dock. So does anyone know if one thunderbolt cable coming from the M2 pro will support two displays?

Aug 9, 2023 2:39 AM in response to Pritch

You might be able to daisy-chain two Thunderbolt displays with resolutions of 4K or less. But NOT two USB-C( DisplayPort) or DP ones, which is what I believe you are asking about.

You may want to look into the OWC Thunderbolt Hub that splits one Thunderbolt chain into three. I think it would let you hang two USB-C (DisplayPort) displays off two of its three downstream Thunderbolt ports, leaving one downstream Thunderbolt port and one downstream USB-A port for other stuff. OWC also has some fancier docks with the 3xThunderbolr port feature.

Check with them to see which, if any, of these might offer a good one-cable solution for you.

Aug 9, 2023 10:21 AM in response to Servant of Cats

Thanks. Yes that is my plan. To try to use the two downstream thunderbolt ports to connect to the displays via USB-C. I have seen at least one other post where someone said it did work, but when you look at OWC’s website, and even Cal digit, they make it sound like it’s not possible with one thunderbolt port. So it is very confusing. Maybe they are talking about the M2 and not the M2 Pro. I’ll contact OWC and go from there.

M2 Pro Mac Mini dual displays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.