Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Tracking steps with iPhone when owning an Apple Watch

I have an Apple Watch which I use mainly for cycling and don't wear otherwise.

I still would like to track my steps in Fitness app with my iPhone like I used to do before I purchased the Apple Watch. Now after purchasing the Apple Watch the Fitness app is empty if I don't wear the Apple Watch. Weird thing is that the Health app tracks my steps (via iPhone) but those are not synced to the Fitness app.

Is there a way to track the steps with Fitness app in a case when you own an Apple Watch but don't wear it all the time?

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 6:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2023 9:30 AM

I have the same problem.

iPhone health app will track steps + add steps from watch (when it’s worn without the phone being present). So far so good.

Now the watch fitness app (with the 3 circles) only shows steps taken with watch. Why can’t both apps sync like it’s the case with all smart watch manufacturers, it’s a mystery.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2023 9:30 AM in response to peekki

I have the same problem.

iPhone health app will track steps + add steps from watch (when it’s worn without the phone being present). So far so good.

Now the watch fitness app (with the 3 circles) only shows steps taken with watch. Why can’t both apps sync like it’s the case with all smart watch manufacturers, it’s a mystery.

Aug 9, 2023 7:11 AM in response to peekki

Open the Health app and set it up with your information if you haven't already. This step isn't crucial, it is just a basic overview of your name, gender, etc.

On the bottom of the screen are three tabs, you want to tap on the Summary tab, or the heart icon.

You should see a small blue "edit" on the top right. Tap edit, and then tap on "All" right beside "Existing Data".

Scroll until you find "Steps", and tap the star to the right of it. This should fill in the star blue.

Now, in the fitness app, tap on your profile in the top right. Tap "Health Details" and set it up if you have not already.

Done! Now walk with your iPhone and it will track in the Fitness app. Reference this guide.

Aug 9, 2023 10:17 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thank you for your answer. I believe it as well that this just doesn't work when I have an Apple watch.

Tracking steps with Health and StepApp works but Fitness app is now useless. With my old Suunto sports watch everything worked perfectly. Phone tracked my steps, Suunto tracked the other sports and everything was syncronized to Fitness app.

I'm considering to return my Apple Wach and going back to Suunto.

Aug 9, 2023 8:13 AM in response to peekki

peekki wrote:
Is there a way to track the steps with Fitness app in a case when you own an Apple Watch but don't wear it all the time?

No, I don't believe so. Once you have a Watch connected to the Fitness app, it works a bit differently. You would have to completely un-pair the Watch in between uses.

As you've noted, you can still track the steps in Health. You can also consider using an app such as StepApp that sync to Health and has nice graphics and will let you set a goal.

Tracking steps with iPhone when owning an Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.