Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Password characters being limited to 15 on macbook pro

I am trying to log into my work website, which has a restriction of password being at least 16 characters long. For a while I was able to use the VPN and safari to log in. However, for some reason now I can not use the VPN nor the safari browser to log into my employer system. If I use other browser such as Brave i can access the website, but still can not access anything that requires the VPN. I can type in the first 15 characters of my passwrod but when I type the 16th I hear a clicking sound and the character does not register and I get the wrogn password message when I type sign in.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 10:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 2:44 AM

I think you need to talk to your employer's IT people. It sounds like something in your work system has changed as you have made no claims of changing your local system.

They control access anyway; natural to talk to those who are in control.

3 replies

Aug 11, 2023 10:47 AM in response to ku4hx

I have already talked with them and they said it is to do with Apple. If I use a non native browser I can log in. However, the issue is also using Cisco VPN. when I try to type in the full 16 characters password it only allows me to type in 15. So something is blocking how many passwords can be typed

Aug 11, 2023 12:23 PM in response to FracP

Using Safari 16.6 on Ventura 13.5, I can regularly enter a 27 character password to access my router, or 26 character password to access the Apple Support Communities. My banking password is not smaller and I have no issues signing into my online banking site. I am not using any VPN.

I think either that VPN tool is crap, or your Windows-oriented IT staff is passing the buck about the real issue.

Password characters being limited to 15 on macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.