Lost/stolen airtag

Can someone reset my Airtag even though it's still linked to my apple ID? I lost my Airtag and now it's not locating it. Someone must have found it and removed the battery and factory reset it. But since it is linked to my Apple ID, can they still link it to a new Apple ID?

AirTag

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 9:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 9:36 PM

If you've lost an AirTag and it's still linked to your Apple ID, it's highly unlikely that someone else can easily reset it and link it to a new Apple ID without your permission. AirTags are designed to be associated with the Apple ID of the original owner, and there are security measures in place to prevent unauthorized access and usage.

Here are some key points to consider:

1. Activation Lock: Just like with iPhones and other Apple devices, AirTags have an activation lock feature. This means that if someone tries to reset the AirTag and link it to a new Apple ID, they would need to provide the original Apple ID and password that it's linked to.

2. Lost Mode: If you've marked your AirTag as lost in the Find My app, it will remain associated with your Apple ID even if someone removes the battery or tries to reset it. This will help prevent someone else from easily using your AirTag with their own Apple ID.

3. Proximity Detection: AirTags are designed to notify the owner if they've been separated from the owner's iPhone for an extended period of time. This could help you track down your lost AirTag even if someone else removes the battery.

4. Privacy: Apple takes privacy and security seriously. It's not a simple process to bypass the security mechanisms in place to associate a lost AirTag with a new Apple ID.

If you believe your AirTag has been lost or stolen, here's what you can do:

1. Mark as Lost: In the Find My app, mark the AirTag as lost. This will enable Lost Mode and allow you to enter a phone number and message for anyone who might find it. They'll see this information on their iPhone when they come in close proximity to the AirTag.

2. Contact Apple Support: If you believe your AirTag has been compromised, contact Apple Support. They can provide guidance on next steps and any available options.

3. Consider Remote Deactivation: If you're concerned about your AirTag being used by someone else, you can also contact Apple Support to discuss the possibility of remotely deactivating the AirTag.

Remember that the security measures built into AirTags are designed to protect your privacy and prevent unauthorized usage. If you're uncertain about the status of your lost AirTag, reaching out to Apple Support for assistance is a good step to take.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2023 9:36 PM in response to __BB__

If you've lost an AirTag and it's still linked to your Apple ID, it's highly unlikely that someone else can easily reset it and link it to a new Apple ID without your permission. AirTags are designed to be associated with the Apple ID of the original owner, and there are security measures in place to prevent unauthorized access and usage.

Here are some key points to consider:

1. Activation Lock: Just like with iPhones and other Apple devices, AirTags have an activation lock feature. This means that if someone tries to reset the AirTag and link it to a new Apple ID, they would need to provide the original Apple ID and password that it's linked to.

2. Lost Mode: If you've marked your AirTag as lost in the Find My app, it will remain associated with your Apple ID even if someone removes the battery or tries to reset it. This will help prevent someone else from easily using your AirTag with their own Apple ID.

3. Proximity Detection: AirTags are designed to notify the owner if they've been separated from the owner's iPhone for an extended period of time. This could help you track down your lost AirTag even if someone else removes the battery.

4. Privacy: Apple takes privacy and security seriously. It's not a simple process to bypass the security mechanisms in place to associate a lost AirTag with a new Apple ID.

If you believe your AirTag has been lost or stolen, here's what you can do:

1. Mark as Lost: In the Find My app, mark the AirTag as lost. This will enable Lost Mode and allow you to enter a phone number and message for anyone who might find it. They'll see this information on their iPhone when they come in close proximity to the AirTag.

2. Contact Apple Support: If you believe your AirTag has been compromised, contact Apple Support. They can provide guidance on next steps and any available options.

3. Consider Remote Deactivation: If you're concerned about your AirTag being used by someone else, you can also contact Apple Support to discuss the possibility of remotely deactivating the AirTag.

Remember that the security measures built into AirTags are designed to protect your privacy and prevent unauthorized usage. If you're uncertain about the status of your lost AirTag, reaching out to Apple Support for assistance is a good step to take.

Aug 10, 2023 9:08 AM in response to __BB__

__BB__ wrote:

When you say "unlikely" that doesn't necessarily mean it cannot? I read elsewhere that they can do a hard reset and will automatically unlink the airtag to my Apple ID but I guess Apple can confirm if this statement is true or not.

The post above is most likely just copied from ChatGPT or similar. Take everything in with a grain (metric ton) of salt.

Also, note that this is a user-to-user forum. Apple's participation here is minimal. They will most likely not be responding in this thread. I would absolutely trust Tesserax's answer but, if you want to discuss the matter with Apple, you can use the Support link at the bottom left of ever page of these forums.

Lost/stolen airtag

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.