Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Do I need a payment method to download a free app?

So I want to download an app, but it won’t let me because supposedly I need to add a payment method. I do not have a credit card or anything like that so I can’t, What do I do?? I’ve tried looking it up on google but nothing works.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 11:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2023 2:29 PM

It won’t let me download anything with out me having a payment method and I never had one before what do I do

168 replies

Aug 10, 2023 7:02 AM in response to SleviraJ35

If you are being asked to enter a payment method, Apple has multiple criteria* requiring the presence of a payment method, even for free items. Since you may be encountering one of those situations, you have no option but to enter a valid payment method if you wish to continue downloading. Read the support article Add a payment method to your Apple ID - Apple Support about how to do that. The payment method may not be charged if you also have account balance or the item is free, but the payment method has to be present. This next article lists valid payment methods for different countries but note that in this situation Apple Account balance alone apparently may not meet the requirement and you need to use another payment method until you find one that satisfies Apple's requirement (often a credit or debit card): Payment methods that you can use with your Apple ID - Apple Support .

If you have already entered a payment method, use the first link above to check it. If a message appears in red there is a problem with it. If the information is still correct and current, contact your financial institution.

* Ref.:

Add a payment method to your Apple ID - Apple Support

"To make purchases from the App Store and use subscriptions like iCloud+ and Apple Music, you need at least one payment method on file."

If you can’t download or update apps on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

- "You might need to have a payment method on file, even if the app that you want to download is free."

Remove a payment method from your Apple ID - Apple Support

- If you have any active subscriptions, you must have at least one payment method on file other than Apple ID credit.

- You might not be able to remove a payment method if you have a balance due.

Sign in with your Apple ID - Apple Support

- "When you sign in to the App Store and other media services for the first time, you might need to add a credit card or other payment information."

How apps, content, and subscriptions from Apple are billed - Apple Support

- You can’t charge gifts to your Apple ID balance. If you send a gift or gift card, your primary payment method is charged.

- Some subscriptions might not be charged to your Apple ID balance.

What you can buy with your Apple Gift Card or Apple Account balance - Apple Support

"Some purchases might require that you have a credit card on file, even if you use your Apple Account balance to make the purchase."

Aug 9, 2023 11:28 PM in response to SleviraJ35

On the App Store, even if you're trying to download a free app, Apple requires you to have a payment method on file for your Apple ID. This is mainly for verification purposes and to ensure that you're a legitimate user. However, you can still proceed without adding a credit card by following these steps:

1. Choose "None" as the Payment Method:

Apple allows you to select "None" as a payment method when setting up your Apple ID. Here's how you can do it:

- Open the "Settings" app on your iPhone.

- Tap on your name at the top.

- Tap on "Payment & Shipping."

- Tap on "Add Payment Method."

- Choose "None" as the payment method.

2. Use iTunes on a Computer:

Another way to set up your Apple ID without adding a payment method is by using iTunes on a computer. Here's how:

- Open iTunes on your computer.

- Sign in with your Apple ID or create a new one.

- Try to download a free app from the iTunes Store.

- When prompted to add a payment method, choose "None."

3. Use an Existing Apple ID:

If you've already created an Apple ID without a payment method, you can try using that Apple ID to download the app.

4. Contact Apple Support:

If you've tried the above steps and are still having trouble, you might want to contact Apple Support for assistance. They can help you troubleshoot the issue and guide you through the process.

Remember that Apple's policies and procedures can change, so the steps mentioned here might vary slightly based on your device's iOS version and your location. Additionally, make sure you're following legitimate sources for information and support to avoid scams.

Jan 13, 2024 4:34 PM in response to SleviraJ35

Okay so apple is charging my card I didn’t have enough money on it to pay the thing that I bought so I put money on it and unlocked my card I got to download one game then it started saying payment method but I just did that I got a new card because of this so I put that one on there can someone please help me understand this I just want this gone I have enough money to pay the bill but it’s not taking the money

Aug 10, 2023 7:10 AM in response to SleviraJ35

SleviraJ35 wrote:

So I want to download an app, but it won’t let me because supposedly I need to add a payment method. I do not have a credit card or anything like that so I can’t, What do I do?? I’ve tried looking it up on google but nothing works.

You have to provide a payment method to verify the account. Until you do, you can't download anything.

Do I need a payment method to download a free app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.