Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

How do I protect bank apps if mugged

How can I prevent access to my banking apps If muggers steal my phone and demand my pin

iPhone XR

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 11:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 11:37 PM

Sorry this does not answer the question I was trying to ask. If muggers are holding me hostage while they use my phone and the pin they have demanded to access the banking apps (which have gave if protection) how do I hide these apps from sight

3 replies

Aug 9, 2023 11:23 PM in response to Riverbottom1

Protecting your banking apps and sensitive information in case your phone gets stolen is crucial. Here are some steps you can take to enhance the security of your bank apps in such situations:

1. Use Biometric Authentication:

Enable biometric authentication (such as Face ID or Touch ID) for your banking apps if they support it. This adds an extra layer of security and prevents unauthorized access even if someone has your phone.

2. Set Up Strong Passcodes:

Ensure you have a strong passcode set for your phone. Avoid using easily guessable codes like birthdays or repetitive numbers. A strong alphanumeric passcode is more secure.

3.Enable Remote Wipe:

Set up the "Find My" feature on your phone (Find My iPhone for Apple devices or Find My Device for Android). This allows you to remotely wipe your phone's data if it's lost or stolen. This action erases all data on the device, including your banking app information.

4. Use a SIM PIN:

Set up a SIM card PIN with your carrier. This adds another layer of protection, as thieves won't be able to use your phone even if they remove the SIM card.

5. Don't Auto-Save Login Information:

Avoid saving login information, passwords, or PINs within your banking apps. Always enter this information manually.

6. Regularly Log Out:

If your banking app requires you to log in, remember to log out after each session. This adds an extra step for potential thieves trying to access your accounts.

7. Frequently Monitor Accounts:

Regularly monitor your bank accounts for any suspicious activity. If your phone is stolen, you can take quick action to prevent unauthorized transactions.

8. Use a Secure Wallet Case:

Consider using a wallet phone case that provides physical protection for your phone and also has compartments for your cards. This can deter thieves and make it harder for them to access your cards and apps.

9. Limit Sensitive Apps on Home Screen:

Organize your apps so that sensitive ones, like banking apps, aren't immediately visible on your home screen. This can buy you time to remotely lock or wipe your phone if it's stolen.

10. Emergency Contact Information:

Set up emergency contact information on your phone's lock screen. This can help someone who finds your phone return it to you, reducing the chance of sensitive data misuse.

11. Notify Your Bank:

If your phone is stolen, notify your bank immediately to secure your accounts. Many banks have mechanisms to temporarily lock or monitor your accounts for suspicious activity.

Remember that no security measure is 100% foolproof, but these steps can significantly enhance the security of your banking apps and sensitive information in case your phone is stolen. Always stay vigilant and proactive about your smartphone's security.

Aug 10, 2023 7:22 AM in response to Riverbottom1

Riverbottom1 wrote:

Sorry this does not answer the question I was trying to ask. If muggers are holding me hostage while they use my phone and the pin they have demanded to access the banking apps (which have gave if protection) how do I hide these apps from sight

You cannot. If this is an ongoing concern, I would delete the apps from your phone when you're not using them.

How do I protect bank apps if mugged

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.