iPad 2 mini iOS 12.5.7 - can I wake from, or stop it entering, deep sleep?

Hi, using this old iPad as a home monitoring dashboard. I can wake it from sleep automatically to the dashboard via a notification from a motion sensor, and using Guided Access. So the Dashboard pops up when someone is a round to see it, and the device isn't wasting power lighting a screen when no-one is around.

But it seems to enter a deeper sleep after [some] hours - e.g. overnight, and then the notifications I send don't open the app, but open the notification list. Is there any setting or way to get around that?

Thanks

iPad mini 2

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 3:58 AM

4 replies

Aug 10, 2023 4:08 AM in response to bobc2009

You will need to ensure that your iPad is continuously powered by an external power source - such as its USB Power Adapter. Connection to an external power-source is key to keeping the iPad’s network connection active and in preventing the iPad from fully sleeping. As by-product, while externally powered, continuous display is unlikely to be a concern.

You will also need to disable the iPad’s Auto-Lock setting - as otherwise the auto-lock function will lock an otherwise idle iPad:

Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock - set to Never

Aug 10, 2023 7:08 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks. Yes I should have said, its plugged in, with no passcode set and auto-lock was set at 5 mins, as I wanted to have the screen turn off if no-one was around.

There's no obvious distinction in the settings between "lock" and "screen off" timers, and from what I could read online it seemed like setting Auto-lock to Never would prevent the screen going off at all.

But seems like that's not quite correct: as you suggested I've set it to never, and seems like the screen still went dark after a while, and I seem to have managed to wake it again with the motion sensor...

I'll experiment with that overnight....

iPad 2 mini iOS 12.5.7 - can I wake from, or stop it entering, deep sleep?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.