Family devices missing from find my

Hi all, recently I've been trying to solve an issue of one of my family member's devices not being visible at all from find my, despite all location sharing settings being turned on in their own settings. Their name entry in the 'Devices' section of find my is completely missing, and their account is still there in the 'People' section, but it only shows 'Not Sharing Location'.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this sort of problem? I've tried unlinking and relinking them to the family but that didn't change anything either...

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 4:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 4:19 AM

1. Check Location Services:Ensure that Location Services are enabled on the missing device. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services and make sure it's turned on. Also, check if the specific app you're using to track the device (Find My) has location access enabled.
  2. Restart the Missing Device:Have the missing device restarted. Sometimes, a simple reboot can help resolve connectivity or synchronization issues.
  3. Sign Out and Sign In Again:On the missing device, try signing out of iCloud and then signing back in. This can help refresh the connection with Apple's servers. Go to Settings > [your name] > Sign Out.
  4. Update Software:Ensure that the missing device is running the latest version of iOS or macOS. Outdated software can sometimes cause compatibility issues.
  5. Check Family Sharing Settings:Double-check the Family Sharing settings for both your own Apple ID and the family member's Apple ID. Make sure that all settings related to location sharing and Find My are properly configured.
  6. Reset Location & Privacy Settings:On the missing device, you can try resetting the Location & Privacy settings. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Location & Privacy. Keep in mind that this will reset all location and privacy settings for all apps on the device.
  7. Check Apple ID Sign-In:Ensure that the family member's Apple ID is properly signed in on the missing device. Sometimes, a sign-in issue can affect the visibility of devices in Find My.
  8. Remove and Re-Add Family Member:You mentioned trying this already, but you can try again. Remove the family member from Family Sharing, restart the device, and then add them back to the family. Make sure to follow the correct steps for adding family members.
  9. Contact Apple Support:If none of the above steps work, you may need to contact Apple Support for more specialized assistance. They can guide you through more advanced troubleshooting steps and help identify any underlying issues.

Remember that troubleshooting technology issues can sometimes be complex, and it might take a combination of steps to resolve the problem. Be patient and persistent, and don't hesitate to seek help from Apple Support if needed.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2023 4:19 AM in response to apple_citizen_01

1. Check Location Services:Ensure that Location Services are enabled on the missing device. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services and make sure it's turned on. Also, check if the specific app you're using to track the device (Find My) has location access enabled.
  2. Restart the Missing Device:Have the missing device restarted. Sometimes, a simple reboot can help resolve connectivity or synchronization issues.
  3. Sign Out and Sign In Again:On the missing device, try signing out of iCloud and then signing back in. This can help refresh the connection with Apple's servers. Go to Settings > [your name] > Sign Out.
  4. Update Software:Ensure that the missing device is running the latest version of iOS or macOS. Outdated software can sometimes cause compatibility issues.
  5. Check Family Sharing Settings:Double-check the Family Sharing settings for both your own Apple ID and the family member's Apple ID. Make sure that all settings related to location sharing and Find My are properly configured.
  6. Reset Location & Privacy Settings:On the missing device, you can try resetting the Location & Privacy settings. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Location & Privacy. Keep in mind that this will reset all location and privacy settings for all apps on the device.
  7. Check Apple ID Sign-In:Ensure that the family member's Apple ID is properly signed in on the missing device. Sometimes, a sign-in issue can affect the visibility of devices in Find My.
  8. Remove and Re-Add Family Member:You mentioned trying this already, but you can try again. Remove the family member from Family Sharing, restart the device, and then add them back to the family. Make sure to follow the correct steps for adding family members.
  9. Contact Apple Support:If none of the above steps work, you may need to contact Apple Support for more specialized assistance. They can guide you through more advanced troubleshooting steps and help identify any underlying issues.

Remember that troubleshooting technology issues can sometimes be complex, and it might take a combination of steps to resolve the problem. Be patient and persistent, and don't hesitate to seek help from Apple Support if needed.

Family devices missing from find my

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.