Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Trying to wipe/reinstall an older iMac

My mother-in-law died, and I'm trying to do what one should do with her old (late-2009) iMac. I got as far as wiping the HD, then, starting into reinstalling the OS, got stuck. So, the disc is wiped, to the Mac is starting up to a choice of utilities, including "Install OS X Yosemite." I sign on to wi-fi. I select the icon for the appropriate drive, then click the arrow pointing to the right. I am prompted to sign in to the App Store

I see a box with the message, "Sign in to download from the App Store. Here is where I fail.

I have my mother-in-law's Apple ID and password, and I have used it to sign in to her Apple account. In doing so, I have seen that this computer is not associated with her account. It was originally a work computer, so maybe that's why. I also have my own Apple ID, but of course, this computer is not associated with my Apple ID, either. I don't think this is the problem however--at least not yet--since so far I haven't succeeded in signing in to the App Store. Keep reading.

When I attempt to sign in using either of these sets of credentials (after ensuring that the wi-fi connection is active), it simply doesn't work. Again, I've tried both my own Apple ID and my mother-in-law's Apple ID, both of which I've verified on other devices. When I try using my mother-in-law's credentials, I get a message saying, "Your Apple ID or Password is incorrect." When I try to use my own Apple ID and password, I get a message asking "Did you forget your password? Type your password followed by this code into the password field on your device," followed by a 6-digit code (on the other device), but there's no place to enter a 6-digit code.

Back on the old iMac, I can choose between "Cancel" and "Forgot password?" Clicking on the latter just takes me back to the starting point for reinstalling OS X Yosemite. Choosing the former achieves the same result.

So, short version, it seems I'm not succeeding in signing in to the App Store to download the OS software I wish to install, even though I have verified the credentials. (Just now, I tried again then verified that my credentials work from my own laptop to sign on to the App Store, but--to repeat--the iMac is not listed in my profile; nor is it listed in the profile of my mother-in-laws account.) I looked again to confirm that the iMac is still connected to the local wifi network. (I also have an ethernet cable plugged in, but it seems to be ignoring that. I know I'm online because when I use my own Apple ID, it pings my other devices with an alert and a six-digit code.)

What's my next step?

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 2:10 PM

Removing the HD is pretty easy if that is what you decide to do. You did not mention the size of the computer so I have provided a link to where you can find video instructions to all sizes for 2009 models. Also to complicate matters there were early 2009 models and late 2009 models, early 2009 were 20" and 24" models and late 2009 were 21.5" and 27" models.

https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos then scroll down to the iMac models and to the year and size you have.

If you decide to NOT remove the HD then simply follow the instructions in What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2023 2:10 PM in response to James C Austin

Removing the HD is pretty easy if that is what you decide to do. You did not mention the size of the computer so I have provided a link to where you can find video instructions to all sizes for 2009 models. Also to complicate matters there were early 2009 models and late 2009 models, early 2009 were 20" and 24" models and late 2009 were 21.5" and 27" models.

https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos then scroll down to the iMac models and to the year and size you have.

If you decide to NOT remove the HD then simply follow the instructions in What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac.

Trying to wipe/reinstall an older iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.