My mac says there is an authorised computer to my account but doesn't allow me to de-authorise it

So i have had this long-standing concern that there is unauthorised access to my MacBook. It looks like there is an admin account to which I am a subsidiary user. In most cases, i am unable to make changes to my account such as de-authorising a user from my iTunes account or even accessing normal information. I am able to click on important Mac hyperlinks on my system but it never allows access. Currently, i am trying to de -authorise my account, it initially said that there were 2 accounts authorised, i am able to de-authorise my immediate account but it does show that there is another one, which i am unable to access to de-authorise. can anyone explain how this is ?

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 1:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 2:33 PM

You can't view what computers are authorized but you can "Deauthorize All" and then authorize any computers that you still have and want to used (note that iPhones and iPads aren't affected, only computers). See the instructions in the "If you need to deauthorize a computer that you don't have access to" sections of Authorize or deauthorize your computer for iTunes Store purchases - Apple Support

If your Mac is running Catalina or later, use the Apple Music app to do the above as described in the Mac section of that article. If your MacBook is running a version earlier than Catalina, use iTunes to do the same thing.

Note that iTunes authorizations have nothing to to with other issues described in your post such as unauthorized access to your Mac. It only affects what computers can access your iTunes purchases.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2023 2:33 PM in response to Tsatsu

You can't view what computers are authorized but you can "Deauthorize All" and then authorize any computers that you still have and want to used (note that iPhones and iPads aren't affected, only computers). See the instructions in the "If you need to deauthorize a computer that you don't have access to" sections of Authorize or deauthorize your computer for iTunes Store purchases - Apple Support

If your Mac is running Catalina or later, use the Apple Music app to do the above as described in the Mac section of that article. If your MacBook is running a version earlier than Catalina, use iTunes to do the same thing.

Note that iTunes authorizations have nothing to to with other issues described in your post such as unauthorized access to your Mac. It only affects what computers can access your iTunes purchases.

Aug 11, 2023 7:38 AM in response to Tsatsu

The "Deauthorize All"option is in a different location than the deauthorize one computer. See the following from my previous post for the instructions for deauthorize all:

See the instructions in the "If you need to deauthorize a computer that you don't have access to" sections of Authorize or deauthorize your computer for iTunes Store purchases - Apple Support

My mac says there is an authorised computer to my account but doesn't allow me to de-authorise it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.