Where can I buy tax free Apple products?I don't live in America.

I don't live in America. Where can I buy tax free products?

They said they don't charge tax in Oregon but you have to live in that state. How is this for tourists?

iPhone 13

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 2:31 PM

The tax system here is complicated so there is no single rate. If you were to actually go to Oregon and if what you say about them not charging tax is correct, then you wouldn't pay tax. If you had it shipped, you would be taxed at the rate of the state to where the item is shipped. Apple does not do international shipping. As far as I know, there are no tax-free stores here (or if there are, they must be in very, very few locations).

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2023 2:31 PM in response to elizan33

The tax system here is complicated so there is no single rate. If you were to actually go to Oregon and if what you say about them not charging tax is correct, then you wouldn't pay tax. If you had it shipped, you would be taxed at the rate of the state to where the item is shipped. Apple does not do international shipping. As far as I know, there are no tax-free stores here (or if there are, they must be in very, very few locations).

Aug 10, 2023 3:05 PM in response to elizan33

The US is not like the EU and the government of the individual states sets the rate for the sales tax. There are no exceptions. Oregon does not have a sales tax, but they collect state income tax on top of federal income tax. Washington has a sales tax which differs from city to city (up to 9%), but they have no state income tax.

Tourists are not exempted - they pay whatever rate is charged in the state where they make the purchase. And there is no system in place to reimburse you since Apple does not allow you to export the product.

Nov 16, 2023 10:47 AM in response to elizan33

I do this quite often and very easily at B&H. they have an in-house credit card, Payboo, that you can use in 2 ways: 1 is simply purchase outright and pay no sales tax, or 12-months deferred interest, but then sales tax is applied. I am thinking about getting an $1800 MacBook Pro so I can do the $1800 purchase which I will pay off within a month so I don't pay interest to the bank, or 12 payments of $150 plus tax over the next year. 

Where can I buy tax free Apple products?I don't live in America.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.