Apple TV never remembers where I am in an episode

I subscribe to Apple TV thru my Roku device. I don't use my iphone for this. If I pause and episode and the television times out, when I come back, I have to open the app and find the show and find my place again. Same thing happens if I start watching in one room and decide to finish watching the series in another room. I'd expect Apple to be a little more technologically advanced than this. I never have this problem with Hulu, Netflix, Prime, Max, Stars, Paramount or any other streaming app. Even the free ones. How do I fix this? I can't find anything about this in settings, although someone on Reddit said he found a solution there.

4210X

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 6:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2023 3:27 AM

It is supposed to work by saving your watch progress as an account property (stored online), so that it can work across devices.

If it doesn’t work like that for you, then the app is not saving what it should save, or something is off about your Apple ID account itself.

1. There is a Setting in the Apple TV app for “Use Play History”. Verify that that is on.
  2. Try signing out, then sign in again. Then try playback again.
  3. Try deleting the Apple TV app, then reinstall, and sign in again. Then try playback again.
  4. Try restarting the streaming device. Then try playback again.
  5. Else contact the Apple Support staff for further assistance.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2023 3:27 AM in response to LYazell

It is supposed to work by saving your watch progress as an account property (stored online), so that it can work across devices.

If it doesn’t work like that for you, then the app is not saving what it should save, or something is off about your Apple ID account itself.

1. There is a Setting in the Apple TV app for “Use Play History”. Verify that that is on.
  2. Try signing out, then sign in again. Then try playback again.
  3. Try deleting the Apple TV app, then reinstall, and sign in again. Then try playback again.
  4. Try restarting the streaming device. Then try playback again.
  5. Else contact the Apple Support staff for further assistance.

Aug 11, 2023 1:25 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. The setting for the app for "Use Play History" only shows up on the Apple device, and it was turned on there, so I guess it's universal and is repeated on the other streaming devices I use (not my Apple device). I did go into the settings within Apple TV that show up on my TV screen when watching using my Roku device, and I signed out and then back in on one TV, using the QR Scan thing, and that worked. And I didn't have to repeat that on my other TV's, so I am happy.

Apple TV never remembers where I am in an episode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.