How to sync my iCloud Photos with my Photos library on a new MacBook Pro?

I bought a new MBP. I am doing a clean install. I need to sync my iCloud Photos to the Photos library on my new computer but cannot figure out how to do so. Settings>iCloud> when I turn on Photos it takes me to the Photos app, but no option to click so that my iCloud library is synced to my new MBP Photos. When I return to Settings>iCloud> the Photos that I had toggled on has been turned off. Thanks for the help.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Aug 11, 2023 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2023 10:44 AM

You do much of this with the Photos Settings. First, in General, make your new Library the System Library:

You should also make sure that you've checked "Copy items to Photos Library"

Then, in iCloud, check "iCloud Photos."

Then choose "Download Originals" or "Optimize Storage." Unless you have a burning reason to optimize storage, the best plan is to download the originals of your pictures. If you optimize storage, then backing up your Library, with Time Machine or whatever, may only backup low resolution, low memory versions of your pictures.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2023 10:44 AM in response to Kern Canyon Steve

You do much of this with the Photos Settings. First, in General, make your new Library the System Library:

You should also make sure that you've checked "Copy items to Photos Library"

Then, in iCloud, check "iCloud Photos."

Then choose "Download Originals" or "Optimize Storage." Unless you have a burning reason to optimize storage, the best plan is to download the originals of your pictures. If you optimize storage, then backing up your Library, with Time Machine or whatever, may only backup low resolution, low memory versions of your pictures.

How to sync my iCloud Photos with my Photos library on a new MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.