You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is the strange search icon that shows up on a webpage in Safari iOS on iPhone

There is at least one website that when I go to it, an icon that looks like a white magnifying glass inside a black circle appears. I've attached 3 screenshots to illustrate. The second one is with using the "reader view". The third one is when I click on the icon in pic #2 (very similar to when I click on the icon in pic #1).

I've Googled it and can find no way to identity where it's coming from or how to turn it off. It "may" be that it's strictly related to this website: thundercloud.net/infoave/new/s6595-2. It's a website that contains info on Windows and they have a "daily" page and a "weekly" page - also know as "Cloudeight infoave".

I'm using an iPhone 8 running iOS 16.6 using the Safari browser. It's not a major problem for me since other websites don't appear to experience this - but it is a distraction. If someone knows what this is all about and how to turn it off, please let me know.

BTW, I already looked under Settings>Safari>Quick Website Search and that is toggled "Off" with no websites listed underneath it.

Thank you.

-Marty

P.S. - Sorry for not downsizing these pics.

iPhone 8

Posted on Aug 11, 2023 10:55 AM

2 replies

what is the strange search icon that shows up on a webpage in Safari iOS on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.