Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Different Apple ID but iCloud is synced

I helped my cousin create an Apple ID for his ipad using my iPhone by logging out of my Apple ID. After creating his Apple ID and logging out of my phone then logging into his iPad, he tells me that he sees all my personal messages and photos etc. How do I fix this so that our Apple IDs are completed separated and not connected or synced?

Posted on Aug 11, 2023 2:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2023 2:22 PM

I had posted a long reply to this explaining what had happened but it was lost when trying to sort out duplicate posts that had occurred (apparently deleting a duplicate also remove the original).

The critical part was you should change passwords on all accounts to ensure that he does not have access to your accounts. This includes email accounts as well as your Apple account.

Here's how you change the email address (Apple ID) you use for your Apple Account while retaining everything in your account:

1. Go to https://appleid.apple.com and sign in.

2. In the Sign-In and Security section, choose Apple ID.

3. Enter the email address that you want to use as your Apple ID.

4. Choose Change Apple ID.

5. If you changed your Apple ID to a third-party email address, check your email for a verification code, then enter the code. Learn what to do if you didn't get the email. --> If you didn't receive your verification or reset email - Apple Support

6. If you use services like iCloud or Messages to share with friends and colleagues, sign in to those services with your updated Apple ID. --> What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

For more details, read the document: "Change your Apple ID" --> Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

As for the data, you will have to ask him to delete it. There is nothing you can do about that. Your accounts are not actively connected.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2023 2:22 PM in response to Kuuropii

I had posted a long reply to this explaining what had happened but it was lost when trying to sort out duplicate posts that had occurred (apparently deleting a duplicate also remove the original).

The critical part was you should change passwords on all accounts to ensure that he does not have access to your accounts. This includes email accounts as well as your Apple account.

Here's how you change the email address (Apple ID) you use for your Apple Account while retaining everything in your account:

1. Go to https://appleid.apple.com and sign in.

2. In the Sign-In and Security section, choose Apple ID.

3. Enter the email address that you want to use as your Apple ID.

4. Choose Change Apple ID.

5. If you changed your Apple ID to a third-party email address, check your email for a verification code, then enter the code. Learn what to do if you didn't get the email. --> If you didn't receive your verification or reset email - Apple Support

6. If you use services like iCloud or Messages to share with friends and colleagues, sign in to those services with your updated Apple ID. --> What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

For more details, read the document: "Change your Apple ID" --> Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

As for the data, you will have to ask him to delete it. There is nothing you can do about that. Your accounts are not actively connected.

Different Apple ID but iCloud is synced

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.