Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Unable to download purchased songs from Apple Music store on Mac Studio (M1)

I have been unable to download purchased songs from Apple Music store on my relatively new Mac Studio (M1 Max, 64 GM memory, 2 TB SSD, Ventura 13.5). The information about the songs does appear to download, since I can see it in the Apple Music app, but the symbol with the exclamation mark in a circle appears next to each song; rather, it's the files themselves that will not download.

The error I keep getting is -54, which appears to be a permissions error. So far, I have tried the following:

• temporarily disabling or quitting my VPN application
  • running First Aid in Disk Utility
  • restarting the computer
  • reinstalling Ventura
  • restarting in Safe mode
  • checking the strength of my wi-fi/internet connection (slower with VPN enabled, but still fast enough to download AAC files)

None of these have worked; I keep getting the same error message.

I have no problem downloading the same songs on my old Intel-based MacBook Pro, which is on the same wi-fi network, and I am able to upload them from the MBP to my designated shared folder on the Mac Studio.

I have also had no problem downloading other files, such as files I receive via email, installers for other applications, or music purchased from elsewhere (e.g., Bandcamp).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Kevin

Mac Studio (2022)

Posted on Aug 11, 2023 3:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2023 4:29 PM

Most bizarre. I created a new library and pointed it to the same external drive where I store my music files—and now the purchased songs download properly.

Problem solved. Go figure.

Similar questions

1 reply

Unable to download purchased songs from Apple Music store on Mac Studio (M1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.