Downloaded music not showing up on Apple Music library

Downloading music to my iPad, seems to download fine. Go to play downloaded music only and the downloaded tab under library is missing. If you go to edit, it’s there as an option to have listed under the library tab but it doesn’t show up no matter how you have that set. It also seems that I can’t just hit play while offline and let it just play the downloaded songs. Literally as though they aren’t there. I have updated to latest iOS and have deleted and re installed the Apple Music app. I have all of our shared devices synced. I’ve done the best an aging gen x’er can do.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Aug 11, 2023 10:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2023 2:34 PM

This happens when there is no "songs" added to the library,

if you only use playlists and there is no songs added, this thing happens,

add any 1 song to library and it should be fixed,

this was my very specific and idiotic case and might not apply to most others

10 replies

Jan 10, 2024 4:49 AM in response to Noxwiz

thank you Noxwiz, this fixed my issue! I prefer keeping most music out of my library unless it is a complete album. To me, that’s what a library should be for… I don’t won’t a single song out of an entire album living in my library. that’s what playlists are for. Anyway, I digress and your suggestion worked. Hopefully Apple sees this and fixes the bug.

Aug 12, 2023 5:40 PM in response to Oosikhead

Hey Oosikhead,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you've taken the correct steps to add the Downloaded music option to your Music app. We'd recommend checking to see if any restrictions are enabled next. If there are, that might be why you are unable to make these changes. Check out Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support which has more information regarding restrictions. We've included a couple sections below that might be particularly helpful.

"Set Content & Privacy Restrictions

1. Go to Settings and tap Screen Time.
  2. Tap Turn on Screen Time, then tap it again. Choose "This is My [Device]" or "This is My Child's [Device]."
    • If you're the parent or guardian of your device and want to prevent another family member from changing your settings, tap Use Screen Time Passcode to create a passcode, then re-enter the passcode to confirm. After you confirm your passcode you'll be asked to enter your Apple ID and password. This can be used to reset your Screen Time passcode if you forget it. 
    • If you're setting up Screen Time on your child's device, follow the prompts until you get to Screen Time Passcode and enter a passcode. Re-enter the passcode to confirm. After you confirm your passcode you'll be asked to enter your Apple ID and password. This can be used to reset your Screen Time passcode if you forget it. 

3. Tap Content & Privacy Restrictions. If asked, enter your passcode, then turn on Content & Privacy Restrictions."

"Prevent explicit content and content ratings

You can also prevent the playback of music with explicit content and movies or TV shows with specific ratings. Apps also have ratings that can be configured using content restrictions.

To restrict explicit content and content ratings:

1. Go to Settings and tap Screen Time.
  2. Tap Content & Privacy Restrictions, then tap Content Restrictions.
  3. Choose the settings that you want for each feature or setting under Allowed Store Content."

All the best.

Jan 10, 2024 4:53 AM in response to Oosikhead

Check to see if you have any music in your library. If your music is only living in playlists (like mine was), then this will trigger the issue. I experienced the issue after (intentionally) removing all music from my library, and only operating from playlists. As soon as I added a song to my library the issue went away. Clearly it’s a bug.

Apr 18, 2024 7:56 PM in response to CoreyJ77

It sounds like you might be a bit misinformed about what "Downloads" are in Apple Music. "downloads" are music that you download off of Apple Music to your device via an Apple Music subscription. The main purpose of doing this, is so that you can listen to the music off line. You can also transfer music manually from your computer to the device that you own. This process is involved though, and I don't have the energy to explain it right now.

Downloaded music not showing up on Apple Music library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.