Apple News + Downloaded magazines keep disappearing

This started happening on my iPad recently. All my downloads keep disappearing. I also have the automatic download on and that feature has never worked for me.

iPad mini 4, iPadOS 15

Posted on Aug 12, 2023 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 7:14 PM

Hi MichelleDubuc,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community :-)

Re: Apple News + Downloaded magazines keep disappearing

Wondering if you have enough free storage space on your iPad mini for the downloads.

Eg: A device always needs some space free in which to keep operating smoothly, as well as space for downloads.

How to check the storage on your iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

If you find you are short on storage space, it is wise to back-up everything on your iPad as a first step:

Back up iPad - Apple Support

How to make space using recommendations:

If you need more space for an update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you wish: Connect external storage devices to iPad - Apple Support

Transfer files between your iPad and computer with an external storage device - Apple Support

If storage space permits: you may be able to download missing items again:

How to: Download and delete magazines in Apple News - Apple Support

All the best :-)

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2023 7:14 PM in response to MichelleDubuc

Hi MichelleDubuc,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community :-)

Re: Apple News + Downloaded magazines keep disappearing

Wondering if you have enough free storage space on your iPad mini for the downloads.

Eg: A device always needs some space free in which to keep operating smoothly, as well as space for downloads.

How to check the storage on your iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

If you find you are short on storage space, it is wise to back-up everything on your iPad as a first step:

Back up iPad - Apple Support

How to make space using recommendations:

If you need more space for an update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you wish: Connect external storage devices to iPad - Apple Support

Transfer files between your iPad and computer with an external storage device - Apple Support

If storage space permits: you may be able to download missing items again:

How to: Download and delete magazines in Apple News - Apple Support

All the best :-)

Apr 11, 2024 4:32 PM in response to MichelleDubuc

This happened to me yesterday. All the downloaded magazines weren’t available offline and there was no “download issue” option on any magazine.

The only way i found to get back the ability to download magazines was as follows:

1. Remove app (choose “keep subscription” in the removal process).
  2. Restart the iPad
  3. Go to the App Store and reinstall the news app.
  4. Re-download all the magazine you want to read offline.

I will note that i have also never had the auto download option work for me.

Mar 20, 2024 5:57 PM in response to MichelleDubuc

I’m searching and searching with no answer in sight…one of the magazines I regularly read in News+ stopped getting issues since February. The latest stories section below the recent issues row displays stories from current issues but the issues themselves do not show up.

The problem is the same on my iPhone too. I haven’t checked my MacBook. I have plenty of space. Deleted and reinstalled the app, problem remains.

Jun 17, 2024 10:01 AM in response to MichelleDubuc

I've been having this problem—or a variant on it—for a few months on recent versions of iOS on my iPhone 12 mini. In my experience, downloading issues would not work, but the app seemed to indicate to me that the issues were downloaded (a subway ride without connectivity confirms that they had not been downloaded).

After reading this thread I deleted the app and redownloaded it from the App Store and it seems to work, so this may be something that others want to try. As user @TheOriginalThee suggested, be sure to "choose ‘keep subscription’ in the removal process."

Jun 17, 2024 10:29 AM in response to MichelleDubuc

I should note that in my particular case, I was able to get immediate help using Apple support on my iPhone. They created a case and followed up diligently. Also, in my case, the missing magazines were due to publisher’s neglect. I reached out to them and within a couple of weeks,

Maybe sooner, the missing issues just started showing up.

Apple News + Downloaded magazines keep disappearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.