can't change my Apple ID email address - it says the email address is not available

I am trying to change my Apple ID email to a different email address. The one I am trying to change it to is not in any way associated with anything I have with Apple. It is a gmail account, which shouldn't matter. I don't understand why it won't let me change it.

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Aug 12, 2023 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2023 11:59 AM

"If you see a message that the email address you want to use isn't available or is already in use, check that you or a family member aren't already using that email address with a different Apple ID. If a family member is using that email address, remove it from their account then try to use it." From: Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

Apple doesn't have a formal position statement about email re-use but many users have commented here that Apple will not let them re-use an email address previously used for an Apple account name

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2023 11:59 AM in response to Robobean

"If you see a message that the email address you want to use isn't available or is already in use, check that you or a family member aren't already using that email address with a different Apple ID. If a family member is using that email address, remove it from their account then try to use it." From: Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

Apple doesn't have a formal position statement about email re-use but many users have commented here that Apple will not let them re-use an email address previously used for an Apple account name

can't change my Apple ID email address - it says the email address is not available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.