Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Reinstalling my OS and getting this error “Can’t download the additional components needed to install Mac OS X.” Please help!

Erased my disc. Reinstalling my OS and getting this error “Can’t download the additional components needed to install Mac OS X.” Please help!

Posted on Aug 12, 2023 5:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2023 6:18 PM

I'm not sure which version of macOS you attempted installing on your MacBook Pro, though you'd better install the latest macOS for your MacBook Pro with following article.

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

If it doesn't help, try to take your MacBook Pro to your local retail AppleStore, Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Provider to install macOS on your MacBook Pro there. As far as I know, it's free.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Find Locations

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2023 6:18 PM in response to Siggytee

I'm not sure which version of macOS you attempted installing on your MacBook Pro, though you'd better install the latest macOS for your MacBook Pro with following article.

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

If it doesn't help, try to take your MacBook Pro to your local retail AppleStore, Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Provider to install macOS on your MacBook Pro there. As far as I know, it's free.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Find Locations

Aug 12, 2023 7:03 PM in response to Siggytee

Siggytee Said:

"Erased my disc. Reinstalling my OS and getting this error 'Can’t download the additional components needed to install Mac OS X.' Please help!"

-------

Troubleshooting Reinstalling the macOS:

A. Use Ethernet:

I assume you are using WiFi. So, try Ethernet, inserted to get a more reliable connection (being a directly connection to the router).

B. Having Any Backups Of your Mac?:

Important: Be certain to create a backup of your Mac prior to all of this. That way, you can have something to restore from the Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. If not, then take this as a learning experience, knowing to always do so, prior to performing any major change, scubas an update or erasing the disk.

Reinstalling my OS and getting this error “Can’t download the additional components needed to install Mac OS X.” Please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.