Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple Watch Ultra -No Shortcut Option Under Action Menu.

I bought a new iPhone 14 Pro Max and an Apple Watch Ultra a month ago.

I have never been able to sync my shortcuts to the watch.

No Shortcut option in Watch Settings/Action Button.

The shortcuts work on the iPhone.

I’ve tried toggling the Bluetooth on and off on both devices, reset and re-powered both.

Reinstalled the shortcut app, toggled Wi-Fi.

Repaired the watch.

Reset iCloud, toggled the show on watch shortcut option.

iPhone shows Watch Shortcuts in the folder including pre-made ones.

Both are updated to the latest operating system.

No change after a month of searching for the solution.

Thank You for your time.

Apple Watch Ultra

Posted on Aug 12, 2023 8:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 2:49 PM

I still have the problem - No Shortcuts option for my Action Button.

I have updated to latest FW iOS 17.0.3 (iPhone 14 Pro) and WatchOS 10.0.2 (Ultra 2).

Selected Shortcuts have Apple Watch enabled.

Anyone else still with the same problem on latest FW?

39 replies

Oct 3, 2023 7:39 PM in response to Colton7

Updating the iOS solved the issue for me.

Note you must assign at least one Shortcut to show on the watch for the Action Button to show the Shortcut option.

run the Shortcuts app on the iPhone, goto the Gallery and select a shortcut for the watch.

Press and hold the shortcut until a pop-up menu appears.

Select Details and make sure the Show On Apple Watch is ON.

the watch should sync and the Shortcut option should appear for the Action Button.

Reboot both if not.

After months of repeatedly trying everything I could research, the resolution was reached by updating to iOS 17 when it was released.

[iPhone 14 and Ultra 1]

Jan 22, 2024 1:44 PM in response to morsalmarcred66

Ok, I was one of the people who was saying this is no longer available - I only recently bought an Apple Watch Ultra 2 so I was a bit annoyed that I couldn't use this feature.

Cutting to the chase... the reason it wasn't working is that I had chosen NOT to sync the Shortcuts to iCloud...

On the iPhone you need to:

1. Go to Settings
  2. Tap the first entry, your Name (the Apple ID, iCloud, Media & Purchases button)
  3. Then tap the iCloud button
  4. Under APPS USING ICLOUD - Tap Show All
  5. Scroll down to where the toggle for Shortcuts is... make sure that's green (selected/on)

Now all the shortcuts that are flagged as available on Apple Watch will be synced with your watch - you can check that on the watch by pressing the wheel button, pick Shortcuts from the list and you should see more than just the compass ones. If you don't, you might need to wait a minute.

This is for sure why some of us did not see the option in the Actions menu.

Also, now that the shortcuts are now synced, go back to the Watch app on the iPhone:

1. Tap the Action Button element
  2. Tap the ACTION select
  3. Now you should see Shortcut as the option just above the None option
  4. Pick Shortcut
  5. Tap the Back button (called Action Button, top left)
  6. Now you should also see a new menu under the ACTION choice called SHORTCUT
  7. Tap that menu
  8. You should see a list of all the Shortcuts that are available in the Shortcuts on your iPhone that were set to "Show on Apple Watch" - FYI, that's done if you click the (...) in any shortcut and then press the (i) in the bottom menu.

I'm quite sure that solves it for everyone, since I was thinking the same as everyone else. It's a pity no Apple employee could tell us this though.

I guess if you want something done, you have to do it yourself. 😆

Jan 1, 2024 7:49 AM in response to morsalmarcred66

I HAVE FOUND A FIX

the issue I had was when I clicked action button shortcuts would not even show up as an option

Right guys I’ve tried everyone’s suggestions and nothing worked I have the iPhone 14 Pro Max and Apple Watch 2 ultra none of the fixes other people suggested did not work.

but here’s what worked for me

it is worth noting I did try buying more iCloud and and backing up the phone before hand like one of the other suggestions I do not know if this had an effect.

go to settings

go to shortcuts

click advanced

allow running script

allow sharing large amounts of data

that’s what allowed it to work for me

Aug 12, 2023 9:02 PM in response to morsalmarcred66

Step 1: Launch the Watch app, and head into My Watch, and here, select Action Button.

Step 2: Now you select the action you want the button to be paired with followed by tapping Action Button to go back.

Step 3: In the App section, select the app you want to trigger for the action selected in Step 2, followed by assigning an action to First Press trigger as well.

As Apple says, “Some features allow different actions to happen on the first and second press of the button.”

And that’s it. You just configured that special button on your new Apple Watch.

Dec 6, 2023 1:28 AM in response to Ayoub Choudhury

07Dec23 - Hi, I'm having exactly the same issue - Apple Watch Ultra 2 on OS 10.1.1 & iPhone 13 running iOS 17.1.2.

In My Watch on iPhone the list of options showing as assignable to the Action Button does not include 'Shortcut' - & I have created shortcuts so the Watch App should see there are some available.

I can also see my Watch under Find My - so the link to iCloud is active.

Spoke to first line Apple Support yesterday - the agent couldn't find any mention of it in their knowledgebase - which is a worry!

He is escalating to 2nd level support to investigate - he opened a ticket & gave me the ticket number so it will now be in the queue for attention.

Will post again here as soon as I hear back.

Oct 1, 2023 3:54 PM in response to morsalmarcred66

I found this on Reddit. Just doing step one and waiting for about 10 minutes worked for me.

OP: vengefulgrapes

I found the solution! It involves deleting and reinstalling the Shortcuts app. Take these steps to prevent losing all your shortcuts:

1. Go to Settings > Shortcuts > iCloud Sync and turn it on. Give the app a few minutes to sync up to make sure all your shortcuts are uploaded to iCloud.
  2. Your shortcuts will be saved to iCloud, but your automations will NOT. Take screenshots of what automations you have and, especially for long and complicated ones, of the contents of the automations. This will make it much easier to restore your automations.
  3. Delete Shortcuts app and reinstall from App Store. Your shortcuts will be restored from iCloud (again, your automations will not and you will have to make them again).
  4. Turning on iCloud Sync (if it wasn't on before) may have removed some shortcuts from their folders. You can move them back now.
  5. Tapping the "..." button on any shortcut may bring up a menu offering you to fix a sync issue by choosing the version saved to either your phone or your watch. Choose the one on your phone. This is because any changes you made on your phone wouldn't have been saved on the watch, since it wasn't syncing right.

The Shortcuts app on Apple Watch should now be synced! Any changes you make on your phone will now be properly reflected on your watch.

I don't know whether turning of iCloud Sync for the Shortcuts app would stop it from syncing to your watch, but I'm definitely not going to try it.

Jan 22, 2024 1:10 PM in response to HtetNaing1699

None of this makes any sense - once you go into "Action Button" in the My Watch app on the iPhone, you see an ACTION section, click on it (it's a select mechanism) and as of right now, there are the following options:

• Workout
  • Stopwatch
  • Waypoint
  • Backtrack
  • Dive
  • Torch
  • None

That's IT... I have no idea what you mean in "Step 3" since it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Is this a BETA feature? Has it been removed? Can someone from Apple say which?

Oct 15, 2023 3:21 PM in response to morsalmarcred66

I had the same problem until today. In your Apple Watch app go to general>Apple ID. This is where you would need to login your Apple ID. It appears as if you’re logged in but that’s not the case you need to depress where it says login and it shows your actual Apple ID and enter your password and press the orange sign prompt. in from there Your Apple Watch will show in Find My app as well as your Shortcuts will now be working as intended.

Hope this helps !

Apple Watch Ultra -No Shortcut Option Under Action Menu.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.