Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

I need help with an iPhone Field Test

Hi, I read online that if you dial *3001#12345#* you can find out if your phone is possibly being traced. I have concerns that an ex-boyfriend of mine is able to see and/or hear communication on my phone. There are strange background noises during calls and my screen was doing things by itself the other day. I also noticed that in the analytics data there was was something about remote access…

Anyways, I don’t know what most of this info means and I can’t find anything that explains it online so could anyone tell me if there is any indication here, based on the info shown, that there maybe be an unknown connection present?

Thank you!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14 Plus, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2023 7:54 AM

With these screenshots you basically disclosed your approximate location, so if you want to avoid being traced, I’d probably start no to upload sensitive info to public websites

7 replies

Sep 25, 2023 1:05 PM in response to fallyn258

Those screens are just about your cellular connection. I'd recommend checking Settings>General>VPN & Device Management. Most users aren't going to have anything here. If you subscribe to a VPN service such as Nord, McAfee, etc it would be listed here. If your device is managed by your employer it also may be listed here. If there is something you don't recognize at all this could be the culprit.

You'll also want to check Settings>Privacy & Security>Location Services>Share My Location to see who you are sharing your location with via iOS's native location sharing. You can also review the list of apps to see if there are any you don't recognize and either delete them or turn off location sharing with them.

If you find anything suspicious you may want to check with law enforcement before deleting it as you may want to preserve as evidence or justification for a restraining order.

Nic

Oct 12, 2023 7:58 AM in response to unknown_geek

To be a bit less toxic, should you ever have the feeling that you are being traced, you can activate Lockdown Mode and which will decrease your iPhones attack surface significantly, making it almost impossible to access for threat actors. (Lockdown mode is designed against the most sophisticated attacks, and most people will never need to use it.)

Aug 13, 2023 9:13 AM in response to fallyn258

A "Field Test Mode" on an iPhone is a hidden menu that provides detailed technical information about the device's cellular signal strength, connection quality, and other related data. This mode is typically used by mobile network technicians, engineers, and advanced users to gather information about network performance and troubleshoot issues related to cellular connectivity.

Please check the internet speed and the bandwidth that you are getting. Disable WiFi before running this Field Test.

You may check the current LTE band/5G/4G/3G by dialing *3001#12345#* and pressing the call button and then selecting the Serving cell info option

Bandwidth on the 2nd and 3rd Screenshots.

See the pic below which is self-explanatory

Aug 13, 2023 9:13 AM in response to fallyn258

This has nothong to do with access to your data on your device.

If you feel an unauthorized person/app is remotely using, controlling or monitoring your device, then that is possible only if you have done one or more of the following Don'ts...

1. Don't hand over an iPhone to kids or to a stranger without Enabling Guided Access
  2. Don't share Apple IDs
  3. Don't Jailbreak
  4. Don't share sensitive information pertaining to your device
  5. Don't give in to Phishing
  6. Don't plug in your device in Airports and Public places through third-party cables and trust the device. Beware of Juice Jacking. (Especially in India)
  7. Don't leave your iPhone unlocked and unattended in public places like offices, schools, malls, etc.

If one of the above is true then quickly change the Apple ID Password and Return iPhone settings to their defaults.

I need help with an iPhone Field Test

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.