Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How can I stop iCloud from asking me for my iCloud password on my iMac?

About once a week, iCloud asks me for my password which is the same password as my iMac. Once I sign into my iMac with that password, iCloud wants it again.

iMac Pro (2017)

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 8:36 PM

As you mentioned - iCloud asks me for my password which is the same password as my iMac.

Admin password to sign with Mac , should never be same as Apple ID password .

You can change Apple ID password Change your Apple ID password - Apple Support

Read this article Tips for creating secure passwords on Mac - Apple Support

4 replies

Aug 15, 2023 1:03 AM in response to drdisk11

When you sign in with www.icloud.com from a web browser .

It will prompt to enter admin password , after entering it the iCloud account is accessed , it's quite normal , as the trusted device ( the iPhone ) that is verified in the account is not synced ( signed in with same Apple ID and password on the same network ) so Mac acts as a trusted device and its located using IP address , the find my Mac is turned as on , so it prompts to enter admin password , it verifies that the right administrator is trying to enter the account , no other person can sign in as only administrator knew login password , the account is set with 2FA .

Note : make admin password as in from of some English word ( at least eight characters ) , rather than alfa numeric code ( that is four digit ) see https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mchlp1550/mac

Aug 14, 2023 9:59 PM in response to tygb

No, the two passwords are not the same - they are very different. The issue is as follows:

a) the password that unlocks my iMac is a 4 alphanumeric password

b) the password for my Apple ID is very different

c) the iCloud password periodic request is the same as a) above.

Once I log onto my iMac to unlock it with its 4 alphanumeric password, iCloud wants me to enter that same alphanumeric 4-digit code.

Seems wrong!

Thanks! Joel

How can I stop iCloud from asking me for my iCloud password on my iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.