Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Apple Mail is generating new blank emails unasked

When using Apple Mail on my iMac running OS 13.4.1 (c), suddenly a new blank email will appear, then another. Just before starting this question it generated eight in about five minutes! These blank new emails are odd, they can't be closed in any way other than by quitting Mail, then on restarting Mail they will have disappeared.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.4

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 11:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 11:36 AM

sibilatrix21 wrote:

When using Apple Mail on my iMac running OS 13.4.1 (c), suddenly a new blank email will appear, then another. Just before starting this question it generated eight in about five minutes! These blank new emails are odd, they can't be closed in any way other than by quitting Mail, then on restarting Mail they will have disappeared.

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.5

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

I would look for an email stuck in the outbox of one of your email accounts. Remove the unsent email typically fixes the issue.

This can happen for various reason— ex. sent email with an attachment too big and gets rejected by the mail server.

Non- the -less Delete the mail from the outbox.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2023 11:36 AM in response to sibilatrix21

sibilatrix21 wrote:

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.5

I would look for an email stuck in the outbox of one of your email accounts. Remove the unsent email typically fixes the issue.

This can happen for various reason— ex. sent email with an attachment too big and gets rejected by the mail server.

Non- the -less Delete the mail from the outbox.

Aug 15, 2023 1:49 AM in response to leroydouglas

Many thanks Leroy. OS 13.5 had not been offered by the time I posted yesterday but when I got your suggestion I found it was available, so I installed it overnight (I'm in the UK). So far this morning Mail has not generated any empty new mails! I did check every single mailbox (going back to the 1990s) but there were no Outboxes available to check. Looks as though 13.5 has fixed the problem, many thanks again.

Apple Mail is generating new blank emails unasked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.