Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

My Mac Restarts After Being Idle for a long time

Whenever I leave my Mac inactive for around 2 hours, it restarts by itself without showing any errors. After the restart, it goes to the login screen, and after login all my apps seem fine without any sudden shutdown issues. Even the Console app doesn't report any problems or crashes!

Although there's no technical problem per se, reopening all my apps is annoying.

I've tried changing settings related to Battery, Energy, and Screen Saver, in various combinations, but I couldn't find a consistent pattern.

Then I discovered something interesting: it restarts when I leave my Mac idle for about two hours with the power cord connected. But if I leave it idle without the power cord, it doesn't restart.

I've checked the setting "Turn display off on power adapter when inactive," but it's turned off.

This problematic behavior has been occurring since I purchased this Mac, which was approximately a year ago. Throughout this duration, no system update have succeeded in resolving it.

Chip: Apply M1 Max

Memory: 64gb

MacOs: Ventury 13.4.1.

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 1:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 5:13 PM

dennisat wrote:

Whenever I leave my Mac inactive for around 2 hours, it restarts by itself without showing any errors. After the restart, it goes to the login screen, and after login all my apps seem fine without any sudden shutdown issues. Even the Console app doesn't report any problems or crashes!

Although there's no technical problem per se, reopening all my apps is annoying.

I've tried changing settings related to Battery, Energy, and Screen Saver, in various combinations, but I couldn't find a consistent pattern.

Then I discovered something interesting: it restarts when I leave my Mac idle for about two hours with the power cord connected. But if I leave it idle without the power cord, it doesn't restart.

I've checked the setting "Turn display off on power adapter when inactive," but it's turned off.

This problematic behavior has been occurring since I purchased this Mac, which was approximately a year ago.

you must have the patience of a saint 🤣

Verify your settings....make changes to suit your needs

ref: Set your Mac to log out when not in use - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2023 5:13 PM in response to dennisat

dennisat wrote:

This problematic behavior has been occurring since I purchased this Mac, which was approximately a year ago.

you must have the patience of a saint 🤣

Verify your settings....make changes to suit your needs

ref: Set your Mac to log out when not in use - Apple Support

Jan 28, 2024 6:20 PM in response to leroydouglas

I reactivated my account on Apple Support Community just to reply to your solution.

I had been experiencing the same problem... since 2019. I was using a fully specced 2019 MacBook Pro 16-inch. I dropped it on the first week and the lower-right corner of the screen had a tiny glow. It didn't affect graphics at all and I was relieved that there was no other damage aside from a dent. Except that my MacBook would now restart when left idle.

All that time, I attributed that daily scenario to the drop. Maybe a wire got loose or a chip cracked somehow? All my searches online were what people called a kernel panic. And for years, I would go check forums and support communities and Reddit about how people solved — or, at this point, lived with — this issue. From 2019 to 2024. Five years. Just searches on kernel panic. And it baffled me how I don't get prompts upon restart and nothing shows up in the crash reports in Console.

I finally got an M3 Pro MacBook this month. I upgraded because the 2019 one already slowed down that it's unbearably useless and the keyboard is absolute whack, but also in the hopes that these daily restarts would go away. Surely, I couldn't be so unlucky that two really expensive Macs would act up?

I used Migration Assistant (which copied everything including system settings) because I had too many files and too many settings I did not bother to download from scratch. When that finished and I had everything I needed, I left it for a while and, you guessed it, it restarted.

I decided, heck, let's just start from scratch. Migration Assistant said it transferred 1.1 million files, can't be too bad. I did just that, started fresh and installed Dropbox to start downloading all my files. While it was doing that, I left the house to let it do its thing and, as I have been doing for five years, I checked online to see if someone finally found a solution to this problem. And that's why I'm here writing this whole essay, just to say that the past five years just flashed before my eyes. All my disappointments with the Mac, all my frustrations when I'm doing work and I come back with a restarted laptop and needing to reopen everything, all those times when I thought the only solution was to open a blank Pages document, type the letter A and leave it without saving just to stop the Mac from restarting — all gone with a single toggle.

Not to say that I have saintly patience, but if saints were to go through what I went through, I doubt they'd make it this far without losing their sainthood.

Oh, and, thank you.

My Mac Restarts After Being Idle for a long time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.