How can I recover my data? I've lost my iPhone

I lost my phone, so tell me how to recover my data

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone 14

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 1:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 2:14 PM

BEWARE:

Criminals who find your phone may phish you in the future.

They usually claim to be from Apple (or the police) and direct you to a web site to enter your “confirming” device passcode and/or AppleID credentials.

These are NEVER legitimate.

They are NEVER from Apple.

These messages are ONLY from criminals attempting to break into your phone AND takeover your AppleID.

Do NOT reply and NEVER follow any links these messages might contain.

No legitimate entity will EVER ask for your AppleID, password, or device passcode.

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2023 2:14 PM in response to kumramnsi355

BEWARE:

Criminals who find your phone may phish you in the future.

They usually claim to be from Apple (or the police) and direct you to a web site to enter your “confirming” device passcode and/or AppleID credentials.

These are NEVER legitimate.

They are NEVER from Apple.

These messages are ONLY from criminals attempting to break into your phone AND takeover your AppleID.

Do NOT reply and NEVER follow any links these messages might contain.

No legitimate entity will EVER ask for your AppleID, password, or device passcode.

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Aug 15, 2023 2:00 PM in response to kumramnsi355

FWIW, the “default” settings applied when initially setting-up a new iPhone and AppleID configure nearly everything for an iCloud “sync” and “backup.”

(Apple apparently assumes that phones WILL be regularly lost / broken / stolen and accordingly chooses the “safest” defaults appropriate for “most” users)

So, when setting-up a replacement phone, you’ll be prompted to “Restore from previous backup?” … select “yes” and you’ll find that your replacement phone pretty well matches your lost phone.

(usually amazingly well)

How can I recover my data? I've lost my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.