Updating Number and Apple ID

Two questions

1. If i get a new phone number is the easiest way to make sure my contacts have it to update my Apple ID? Versus having to text everyone individually?
  2. If I update my Apple ID - if there are people who I don't want to have my number, will they automatically have my new number? Even if they're blocked/not in my contacts?

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 2:43 PM

Your phone number is not connected to your Apple ID. As for the answers to your questions:

1. Updating your Apple ID does not give everyone in your Contacts your new phone number, you will need to let them know.
  2. Others will not automatically get your new phone number. Note that some services like Messages can be used with your Apple ID and not your phone number, so they may still be able to use those services to contact you if your device is set to receive those communications from your Apple ID. For Messages this can be checked at Settings > Messages > Accounts. You will see an option there to receive from phone number, your Apple ID, or both if checked.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2023 2:43 PM in response to eryka28

Your phone number is not connected to your Apple ID. As for the answers to your questions:

1. Updating your Apple ID does not give everyone in your Contacts your new phone number, you will need to let them know.
  2. Others will not automatically get your new phone number. Note that some services like Messages can be used with your Apple ID and not your phone number, so they may still be able to use those services to contact you if your device is set to receive those communications from your Apple ID. For Messages this can be checked at Settings > Messages > Accounts. You will see an option there to receive from phone number, your Apple ID, or both if checked.

Updating Number and Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.