Macbook does not save any documents or download files

I have a macbook air with os ventura 13.5. I cant save or back-up any documents of files to a local disk whether it be word, excel, quicken or any program. The save panel does not even appear. I turned off all cloud services and problem is still occurring. I created a new user and when I switch to the new user I can use all those programs and save works perfect. I have tried reinstalling everything from mac os ventura to the individual programs on my main account (admin) but nothing works. I have restarted in Safe Mode and have the same problem. Disk Utility first aid said everything is working perfect. I have contacted Apple support but they have not been able to figure out what is happening. Appreciate any support or insights. Thanks!!!!

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 5:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2023 9:24 AM

You're not having a "save" problem, you're have a Mac slowdown problem that is manifesting with what you see.

To better understand what's going on, download etrecheck from here: https://etrecheck.com/en/index.html

Install the app, allowing full disk access, run the app and the post the full report here using the Additional Text icon.

It's possible your admin profile is corrupt. Try creating a new admin user and retest. If that solves the problem, then the etrecheck app usage is not necessary. If the new user solves the issue, you need to get all your data to the new admin user and remove the old corrupt admin user.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2023 9:24 AM in response to HudsonBay456

You're not having a "save" problem, you're have a Mac slowdown problem that is manifesting with what you see.

To better understand what's going on, download etrecheck from here: https://etrecheck.com/en/index.html

Install the app, allowing full disk access, run the app and the post the full report here using the Additional Text icon.

It's possible your admin profile is corrupt. Try creating a new admin user and retest. If that solves the problem, then the etrecheck app usage is not necessary. If the new user solves the issue, you need to get all your data to the new admin user and remove the old corrupt admin user.

Aug 17, 2023 3:43 PM in response to ku4hx

This was the most help I have ever received. I did both of the above and when I created the new admin user and opened a document I was finally able to save without problem. I cant thank you enough for your assistance. I will now see if there is an easy way to move my information from the old/corrupt admin to the new admin. FYI I downloaded the etrecheck program that i had never heard about before and it developed a pretty detailed support per below. It seemed like the only major issue was the slow CPU but not going to lie and say that I actually know how to read this. Again, you have really helped me out and cant thank you enough.

Aug 16, 2023 5:53 AM in response to ku4hx

Many thanks for the kind response. I get that box but when I go to save on the hard drive or documents i just get the spinning wheel and cant save. The problem is not just the office suite. I cant save for Adobe, Quicken or any program. The interesting thing is when I create and use a new user everything works just not on the main admin side of the computer. Many thanks again for your response. Very kind!

Macbook does not save any documents or download files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.