Can data be recovered after factory reset?

I have changed and forgot my password. I turned off the phone, did a factory reset, but I have cherished photos and videos that are not on iCloud. Does Apple have a version really very upset

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 6:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2024 7:33 PM

Recently I have forgot my password. I did a factory reset, but then I remembered my password. How do I get all of my stuff back?

9 replies

Aug 15, 2023 6:31 PM in response to nacer177

nacer177 Said:

"Can data be recovered after factory reset?: I have changed and forgot my password. I turned off the phone, did a factory reset, but I have cherished photos and videos that are not on iCloud. Does Apple have a version really very upset"

-------

Perhaps.

Recovering Photos & Videos:

Sync Photos and Contacts Through iCloud:

Enable Photos in iCloud on different device devices. All will be accessible on the other device. As an example, here is what to do with photos...

Accessing Photos:

On another device associated to the same Apple ID, perform the following.

I. On an iPhone:

1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: Your Name (Top Item)
  3. Tap: iCloud
  4. Tap: Photos so that is is green
  5. Enable: iCloud Photos

II. On a Mac:

Access from iCloud, Manually:

1. Go To: Settings
  2. Click: iCloud
  3. Click: Show All
  4. Click: Photos so that is is green
  5. Download: the Photos

Mar 13, 2024 6:00 PM in response to Charlie2217

Charlie2217 Said:

"Recently I have forgot my password. I did a factory reset, but then I remembered my password. How do I get all of my stuff back?"

-------

Troubleshooting Lost Data:

Loss of data is something you would have agreed to upon opening an Apple Account. So, if the data is gone, then it is gone. That's just the way it is :(. Take this as a learning experience, knowing to always backup your data.

Is any of this in iCloud?

Recovering iCloud Data:

One unique method...

Download All of iCloud:

One though would be to download all of iCloud, and then search through it in Finder on a Mac. You would download it to an external drive, and then open the drive in Finder. Search through it using the search bar on the top-right corner of the Finder window. Once downloaded, trash what is in there. Use my user tip: Getting a Quick and Direct "iCloud Drive-to-External Hard Drive" Download - User Tip

Mar 12, 2024 8:00 PM in response to Charlie2217

Charlie2217 wrote:

Recently I have forgot my password. I did a factory reset, but then I remembered my password. How do I get all of my stuff back?

Basically, the phone itself is wiped … and you're not going to get your data back from the local storage (device storage) built into the phone.

If you had the data somewhere else, you may be able to get it back. E.g.,

• Data synchronized through iCloud (such as photos synchronized through iCloud Photos)
  • Data included in an iPhone backup stored in iCloud, or on your Mac or PC
  • E-mails located on an e-mail provider's servers, which you accessed through an IMAP connection
  • Files on a cloud drive such as iCloud Drive, Google Drive, or Microsoft OneDrive
  • Photos manually imported to a folder on your Mac using Image Capture

The principle is that the data has to exist somewhere other than just on the phone itself, and there has to be a means of copying it back to the phone / getting access to it again from the phone. Then you can recover even though the current local copy on the phone will be destroyed by the time you get back in.

Can data be recovered after factory reset?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.