Apple Watch SE 2020 black screen, won’t restart but is responding

I’ve seen a few posts similar but not exact. I was clearing a notification last night on my watch SE purchased in 2020 when the screen went black. I put it on the charger, got a notification it was fully charged a bit later, but the screen is still black.

It does vibrate when I press the power button but doesn’t respond to a restart — or if it does, I can’t see, the apple logo never appears when I hold the power and crown. I’ve also tried changing the watch face to no avail. My activity and steps still log. Pulled up diagnostics and there’s a log (below) from approximately when my watch went black.

Any suggestions? Paying $219 to repair a watch whose battery doesn’t even last 12 hours (with most notifications and apps off) seems insane to me. Though I’m also concerned a new watch would have just as poor battery life 😔

Apple Watch SE

Posted on Aug 16, 2023 3:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 12:37 AM

Nobody here can read error logs. If you already tried the forced restart without remedy then contact Apple Support.

If you already did and you have been given a repair price by them then that is the end of it. They will replace the Watch for that price. They don't repair them.

I still have 50% battery remaining at the end of my day on my SE2022, it depends on how you use it. Stream music all day and it will die well before bed time, for example.

You should be able to reach Apple Support here > Contact - Official Apple Support  or phone numbers  Click here > Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support   or Click here > Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple 

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2023 12:37 AM in response to nascar4life

Nobody here can read error logs. If you already tried the forced restart without remedy then contact Apple Support.

If you already did and you have been given a repair price by them then that is the end of it. They will replace the Watch for that price. They don't repair them.

I still have 50% battery remaining at the end of my day on my SE2022, it depends on how you use it. Stream music all day and it will die well before bed time, for example.

You should be able to reach Apple Support here > Contact - Official Apple Support  or phone numbers  Click here > Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support   or Click here > Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple 

Aug 17, 2023 7:55 AM in response to LD150

Interesting, thanks for your response! I feel like my use is pretty light, I get maybe 6 notifications per hour and I don’t have raise to wake on. I take my watch off the charger at 6am and it’s dead by 6:30pm at best. I usually have to charge it again so I can log a workout in the evening. It’s not a watch + cellular so I’m never streaming from it. I’m hopeful that a new watch would have better battery, just frustrated that the “repair” price is essentially full replacement cost 😅 thank you!

Apple Watch SE 2020 black screen, won’t restart but is responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.