I used the same apple ID for two people. how do I fix this?

I want to delete an apple ID I created in an attempt to separate my daughter's account from mine. Also my husband has my ID on his phone and we need to separate our phones.

iPhone 11

Posted on Aug 16, 2023 6:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2023 6:33 PM

Everybody should be using their own separate Apple ID on their device.

Since it's your Apple ID I would suggest your husband and daughter first create their own Apple ID. That can be done here: https://appleid.apple.com/account

Then your husband and daughter need to sign out of your Apple ID on their device and sign into their Apple ID. When they sign out it will ask if they want to keep a copy of the data on their device, if they want to keep the data say yes.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2023 6:33 PM in response to Community User

Everybody should be using their own separate Apple ID on their device.

Since it's your Apple ID I would suggest your husband and daughter first create their own Apple ID. That can be done here: https://appleid.apple.com/account

Then your husband and daughter need to sign out of your Apple ID on their device and sign into their Apple ID. When they sign out it will ask if they want to keep a copy of the data on their device, if they want to keep the data say yes.

Aug 16, 2023 6:37 PM in response to Community User

beckyhruby Said:

"I used the same apple ID for two people. how do I fix this?: I want to delete an apple ID I created in an attempt to separate my daughter's account from mine. Also my husband has my ID on his phone and we need to separate our phones."

-------

Use Family Sharing:

What I recommend is for each of you to have your own Apple accounts, and to share your purchases through Family Sharing. If your daughter needs to have restrictions, then assigned her device to either one of your Apple Accounts, and then set up Screen Time for Parental Control rules.

All Data is Lost When Closed:

Note that if you close an Apple ID, that all info would be gone without a trace --so, backup iCloud prior to closing it: Use my user tip: Getting a Quick and Direct "iCloud Drive-to-External Hard Drive" Download - User Tip

I used the same apple ID for two people. how do I fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.