Unable to purchase anything

I have recently tried to do an in app purchase for a game with a gift card and was met with an error message saying, "This purchase cannot be completed. For assistance, contact iTunes Support at www.apple.com/support/itunes/ww/." So I went to the website and followed the advice of changing my credit card. I am unable to remove it and re add it due to another red error message at the top, stating, "MZFinance.FamilyNonHoH.CannotAddPayment." I am in a family sharing unit so I turned off payment sharing in order to try to fix the problem without any luck. I then left the family sharing unit and was still unable to both purchase and remove the credit card, while still being left with the same error messages to both. How can I fix this?

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 16, 2023 8:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 12:01 AM

I am unable to remove it and re add it due to another red error message at the top, stating, "MZFinance.FamilyNonHoH.CannotAddPayment."

See -> Remove a payment method from your Apple ID

Remove a payment method from your Apple ID - Apple Support

⤵️

If you can't remove a payment method

If you have subscriptions like iCloud+, have an unpaid balance, or you use purchase sharing, you must keep at least one payment method on file.

tried to do an in app purchase for a game with a gift card

See -> How to redeem your Apple Gift Card or App Store & iTunes gift card

How to redeem your Apple Gift Card or App Store & iTunes gift card – Apple Support (UK)

When redeeming a gift card, the amount will be credited to your (1) Apple Account balance and (2) you need to set your Apple Account balance as your default payment.

(1)

See -> Check your Apple Account balance

Check your Apple Account balance – Apple Support (UK)

(2)

See -> Add a payment method to your Apple ID

Add a payment method to your Apple ID – Apple Support (UK)

• If you want to change your card, you need to add first the new card, then remove the old card.
  • or if you want to use your Apple Account balance, you need to set your Apple Account balance as your default payment.

See also -> What you can buy with your Apple Gift Card or Apple Account balance

What you can buy with your Apple Gift Card or Apple Account balance – Apple Support (UK)

and ⤵️

• You can't use your Apple Account balance to send gifts or gift cards.
  • If you use Family Sharing, your family members can't spend your Apple Account balance. Funds that you add to your Apple Account balance are only available to you. Find out more about how purchases are billed to your Apple Account balance.
  • Some purchases might require you to have a credit card on file, even if you use your Apple Account balance to make the purchase.

If you're still unable to update your payment method, Contact Apple Support.

if you still need help, get support from Apple directly -> Get Support or call Apple in your region see -> Contact Apple for support and service

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2023 12:01 AM in response to jemthelonley

I am unable to remove it and re add it due to another red error message at the top, stating, "MZFinance.FamilyNonHoH.CannotAddPayment."

See -> Remove a payment method from your Apple ID

Remove a payment method from your Apple ID - Apple Support

⤵️

If you can't remove a payment method

If you have subscriptions like iCloud+, have an unpaid balance, or you use purchase sharing, you must keep at least one payment method on file.

tried to do an in app purchase for a game with a gift card

See -> How to redeem your Apple Gift Card or App Store & iTunes gift card

How to redeem your Apple Gift Card or App Store & iTunes gift card – Apple Support (UK)

When redeeming a gift card, the amount will be credited to your (1) Apple Account balance and (2) you need to set your Apple Account balance as your default payment.

(1)

See -> Check your Apple Account balance

Check your Apple Account balance – Apple Support (UK)

(2)

See -> Add a payment method to your Apple ID

Add a payment method to your Apple ID – Apple Support (UK)

• If you want to change your card, you need to add first the new card, then remove the old card.
  • or if you want to use your Apple Account balance, you need to set your Apple Account balance as your default payment.

See also -> What you can buy with your Apple Gift Card or Apple Account balance

What you can buy with your Apple Gift Card or Apple Account balance – Apple Support (UK)

and ⤵️

• You can't use your Apple Account balance to send gifts or gift cards.
  • If you use Family Sharing, your family members can't spend your Apple Account balance. Funds that you add to your Apple Account balance are only available to you. Find out more about how purchases are billed to your Apple Account balance.
  • Some purchases might require you to have a credit card on file, even if you use your Apple Account balance to make the purchase.

If you're still unable to update your payment method, Contact Apple Support.

if you still need help, get support from Apple directly -> Get Support or call Apple in your region see -> Contact Apple for support and service

Unable to purchase anything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.