Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Ipad messed up my files number after moving

So I have many documents that go by the same name with a number at the end for easy sorting. Ever since the update, when I move them to a new file, all the numbers changed. Like if I put document numbers 50-100 into a different file, it will start from 1 again and the order will be different from original as if it goes by their process time of moving.

Is there an option to turn this off?

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 2:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 2:42 AM

No, this feature cannot be disabled. You should always use unique filenames.

Duplicate filenames within a single folder are not permitted - this being true of any computing system. While your iPad is no different, how it avoids conflict may differ to other computers with which you may be familiar. Some Operating Systems simply won’t allow files with duplicate filenames to be copied to an existing folder; iOS/iPadOS instead allows the move to occur, but removes the conflict by adding a <space> and a number to the duplicate file.

To avoid issues such as you describe, you should avoid naming your files in a manner that may cause issues - i.e., [filename]<space>[number] - as this is the filename construct used by iOS/iPadOS to remove conflicts.

Instead, perhaps consider using [filename][number] (i.e. without the space) or at least an alternative to the <space> character - such as an underscore (“_”), this being commonly used as a substitute for <space> within filenames.

In following this advice, you will avoid the issue that you describe. While iOS/iPadOS will continue to resolve filename conflicts by appending a number (with a space) to filenames, your own file-naming will not be altered.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2023 2:42 AM in response to Keith_21

No, this feature cannot be disabled. You should always use unique filenames.

Duplicate filenames within a single folder are not permitted - this being true of any computing system. While your iPad is no different, how it avoids conflict may differ to other computers with which you may be familiar. Some Operating Systems simply won’t allow files with duplicate filenames to be copied to an existing folder; iOS/iPadOS instead allows the move to occur, but removes the conflict by adding a <space> and a number to the duplicate file.

To avoid issues such as you describe, you should avoid naming your files in a manner that may cause issues - i.e., [filename]<space>[number] - as this is the filename construct used by iOS/iPadOS to remove conflicts.

Instead, perhaps consider using [filename][number] (i.e. without the space) or at least an alternative to the <space> character - such as an underscore (“_”), this being commonly used as a substitute for <space> within filenames.

In following this advice, you will avoid the issue that you describe. While iOS/iPadOS will continue to resolve filename conflicts by appending a number (with a space) to filenames, your own file-naming will not be altered.

Ipad messed up my files number after moving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.