Cleaning Retina display for Mac M1

Hello

I'm using a Macbook pro 13-inch. I had been using isopropyl alcohol to clean my display for a long time until my friend suggested that it has a corrosive effect on the screen. I use a microfiber cloth to wipe away the dust, but I need some liquid cleaner to get rid of some stubborn stains and spots, what should I get?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 7:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 7:30 AM

Here is what Apple says about cleaning your screen. While is does not mention alcohol specifically, I would go for a cleaner specifically made to clean computer screens which may be less harsh then straight isopropyl alcohol.

Clean your Mac computer’s screen or display - Apple Support

In part it states:

"Important: Don’t clean the screen with a cleaner containing acetone. Don’t use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, ammonia, abrasives, or cleaners containing hydrogen peroxide to clean the screen. 

WARNING: Never spray cleaner directly on the screen. It may drip inside the display and cause damage."

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2023 7:30 AM in response to danishmand

Here is what Apple says about cleaning your screen. While is does not mention alcohol specifically, I would go for a cleaner specifically made to clean computer screens which may be less harsh then straight isopropyl alcohol.

Clean your Mac computer’s screen or display - Apple Support

In part it states:

"Important: Don’t clean the screen with a cleaner containing acetone. Don’t use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, ammonia, abrasives, or cleaners containing hydrogen peroxide to clean the screen. 

WARNING: Never spray cleaner directly on the screen. It may drip inside the display and cause damage."

Aug 17, 2023 9:24 AM in response to danishmand

My wife used to chastise me for not allowing her to touch my Mac screen. I'd grab her hand and she'd be irked.

Then one day, her's go to be so smudgy from her need to finger a non touch ready screen the she understand the message. Took her a lot of time to clean her screen ... I just chuckled. We don't talk about that any more. :)

My solution is two fold: keep greasy fingers off my screen and use a clean dry microfiber cloth periodically.

Cleaning Retina display for Mac M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.