How do I change back to a 4 digit passcode from an 8 digit?

I had apps for work on my phone and they required an 8 digit passcode for safety, and now that I’ve deleted those apps it won’t let me go back to 4 digits in the settings. I’ve restarted my phone and that didn’t help

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 7:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 7:34 AM

Apps themselves should not have any control on the passcode length. If you have an Exchange email account or an office profile installed, it may require a specific length via a profile in Settings ➜ General ➜ VPN and Device Management.

You may not be able to remove it, if you still need access to the related Email account.

In any case, if you are now allowed to change the length, you can go to Settings ➜ Face ID & Passcode ➜ Change Passcode ➜ Passcode Options and select the 4-Digit Passcode option from the menu if available.

If it does not appear there, then you may still have a profile or email account determining the passcode length.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2023 7:34 AM in response to Watchlink

Apps themselves should not have any control on the passcode length. If you have an Exchange email account or an office profile installed, it may require a specific length via a profile in Settings ➜ General ➜ VPN and Device Management.

You may not be able to remove it, if you still need access to the related Email account.

In any case, if you are now allowed to change the length, you can go to Settings ➜ Face ID & Passcode ➜ Change Passcode ➜ Passcode Options and select the 4-Digit Passcode option from the menu if available.

If it does not appear there, then you may still have a profile or email account determining the passcode length.

How do I change back to a 4 digit passcode from an 8 digit?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.