Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Keeping Text Messages forever

I noticed that the history of text messages with my wife goes back to only one year back... How can I keep my text messages forever

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2024 7:40 PM

I have the setting in my iPhone to keep messages forever. But they’re only being kept a year or so. Is there any way to retrieve older messages? It’s very important.

5 replies

Jan 28, 2024 11:00 PM in response to castan3da

Hi, Not sure if you have the same issue as I did Kate, but this solved for me;

The solution that worked for me, at this point I had a full backup, was to navigate and select 'Reset All Settings':

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset All Settings

After performing the reset, it took a few moments and the message thread history started loading.

Quick Tips:

1. You are able to tap and hold the scroll location indicator, then drag it. Hold it up to keep loading history.
  2. You are able to tap the time indicator, the clock i.e 15:55, to quick jump to the top of the currently loaded history.

Moderators: I am sorry for my poor spelling of Disappearing!

Full Post > iPhone Messages Disappearing, but 'Keep Messages Forever' enabled.

Jan 3, 2024 12:32 PM in response to KateMcJ

This is strange. I use the same setting and I have messages back from 2020.

I do prune manually the messages I don't want to retain so my message list is not that long. Another thing is that I do not synchronize Messages over iCloud. Could these be some reasons ? I don't know.

As to the message that have been deleted, they could still be in the "Recently Deleted" folder if you use a recent version of iOS. In Messages, tap Edit (top left) and select "Show Recently Deleted". From there you could be able to recover these messages.

Keeping Text Messages forever

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.