Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

iPhone Messages Dissapearing, but 'Keep Messages: Forever' has always been set.

I have been using iTunes Backup to migrate across many iPhones for many years without issue.

I do not use iCloud for backup on my main device.

Sometime in the last couple of years I noticed on one particular thread that previous messages in a thread were loading or not - seemingly randomly.

One day the entire thread would be there from the beginning, the next time I check it goes back only a year, or a few months - then again the whole thread. The past year or so this issue has gotton worse and I've dont see messages from the start of a thread anymore at all. Sometimes will load several months, sometimes only a few weeks.

I am confused and see many others have been reporting this issue. This thread is an example iPhone text messages disappeared - Apple Community

I currently have an iPhone 11 Pro, and am about to migrate across to the 14 Pro next to me.

Is there anyone with an explaination as to what occured here? So many people experienced this, can anyone please shed some light on the matter?

Thank you

Bob

Posted on Jan 28, 2024 1:10 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 28, 2024 10:53 PM in response to init_bobjames

[Solved] I resolved and solved my issue with iPhone Messages Disapearing, but 'Keep Messages: Forever' has always been set, p.s. (Sorry for the typo of Disapearing in the title).

I was able to make a full backup and migrate to the new iPhone 14 Pro. As discussed I used the computer and hard drives as backup and restore methods.

The new iPhone setup exactly the same with the full message thread not displaying.

The solution that worked for me, at this point I had a full backup, was to navigate and select 'Reset All Settings':

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset All Settings

After performing the reset, it took a few moments and the message thread history started loading.

Quick Tips:

1. You are able to tap and hold the scroll location indicator, then drag it. Hold it up to keep loading history.
  2. You are able to tap the time indicator, the clock i.e 15:55, to quick jump to the top of the currently loaded history.

I hope this helps you solve your problem if you have the same issues I did with my iPhone Messages Disapearing, but 'Keep Messages: Forever' has always been set.

Thank you

Bob

iPhone Messages Dissapearing, but 'Keep Messages: Forever' has always been set.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.