Can't delete downloaded artwork in Apple Music

A recent update of Apple Music lost most of my album artwork. I decided to select all albums and "Get Album Artwork", but this seems to be quite buggy, and downloaded many incorrect images. For example, I have a few trance albums that ended up with Giuseppe Verde on the cover, which I find extremely annoying. Apple also doesn't seem to have quite a few mainstream album covers.

Fine, I decided to delete the incorrect ones, so I selected "Clear Downloaded Artwork". It appears to remove the artwork from the album, but when I restart Music, there is it again. No amount of retrying fixes the issue. I've had to restore from a backup to wipe all the downloaded artwork.

I'm using Music version 1.2.5.7.

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2023 4:51 AM

It turns out that the issue was that the Preferences->Advanced "Automatically Update Artwork for Imported Songs" was enabled. The artwork was just refreshing every time I restarted Music.

I will say that the interface is incredibly buggy. Sometimes when I delete the artwork, it doesn't go away until I click in or out of the album (depending on where I've deleted it, from the album's page, or the list). There are significant UX issues with features like this. It is hard to believe this app went out the door in such a state, especially for a company like Apple.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2023 4:51 AM in response to Hypraktiv

It turns out that the issue was that the Preferences->Advanced "Automatically Update Artwork for Imported Songs" was enabled. The artwork was just refreshing every time I restarted Music.

I will say that the interface is incredibly buggy. Sometimes when I delete the artwork, it doesn't go away until I click in or out of the album (depending on where I've deleted it, from the album's page, or the list). There are significant UX issues with features like this. It is hard to believe this app went out the door in such a state, especially for a company like Apple.

Jan 27, 2024 11:57 AM in response to Hypraktiv

apple is broken..rearranging deck chairs on the titanic. It's emarrassingly time consuming and full of apologies. I've never spoken to an agent who was rude or insincere in their concern, but the available tutorials for them and for me on line are hopeless. apple has some nerve randomly assigning artwork to a playlist that i nevre selected and WORSE, no option to remove without DELETING the entire play list. I am forced to recreating a play list, dragging all the tracks there, then deleting the first one with lame artwork. Apple has plenty of serious work to do. The ITUNES, worked just fine. The new RED dock ICON called MUSIC is no substitute. Not all changes are improvements.

Can't delete downloaded artwork in Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.