IPad Code what is it for?

We are trying to oen an iPad with the code? How do we do that?

iPad (1st generation)

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 9:31 AM

My sister before she died, gifted her IPad to a friend. I am working with Apple to permanently remove all of my sister’s Apple ID and passwords etc from the notepad and do not need any files on that computer.

The iPad is in New Zealand and I am in the US. The code is from Apple at some point

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2023 9:31 AM in response to Phil0124

My sister before she died, gifted her IPad to a friend. I am working with Apple to permanently remove all of my sister’s Apple ID and passwords etc from the notepad and do not need any files on that computer.

The iPad is in New Zealand and I am in the US. The code is from Apple at some point

Aug 17, 2023 9:20 AM in response to Mimf

Enter the passcode used to set up the iPad. If you do not know it and you see a waiting period you can wait and try again. If the iPad is actually disabled, or one for which you have forgotten the passcode, Apple provides different solutions depending upon the system version you are using and other criteria.

For devices with iPadOS 15.2 or later* you may be able to use the method in this support article: If you see an iPhone or iPad unavailable message or Security Lockout screen - Apple Support This does not require a computer.

Here is a related video: https://www.youtube.com/watch/7s8-zLG9ySQ

If your device is still running iPadOS 15.1 or earlier, you will need to use the method in this support article: If you forgot your iPad passcode - Apple Support

You may also need to use this method if:

• your device is not connected to a cellular or Wi-Fi network (if you restart your device when you see "Security Lockout" on the Lock Screen, you won't be able to reconnect to a Wi-Fi network until your device is unlocked. Cellular devices will reconnect to a cellular network if you have active service).

• you do not have your Apple ID and password that you used to set up your device.

*These models, when running iPadOS 15.2 or later, do not require a computer:

iPad Air2, iPad mini4 (if updated)

iPad Pro

iPad Air 3rd generation and later

iPad (5th generation and later)

iPad mini (5th generation and later)

Here are resources if you are prompted for your username and password and have forgotten them:

If you forgot your Apple ID email address or phone number - Apple Support Note that typically this is an email address you use.

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

If you do not have a computer, use this link Find Locations to find an Apple service location, or ask a friend if you can use theirs. This can be a Mac, or a PC with iTunes.

Whichever method you use will result in erasing the iPad. You can, however, restore it from a backup as described in this support article --> Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Aug 17, 2023 10:07 AM in response to Mimf

The 4 Digit code would normally be the screen unlock code, it does not come from Apple at all, it would have been set by your sister. Who ever has the code can enter it at the lock screen and access the iPad.

From there, you would still need to know your sister's Apple ID and password, so that they can log off and turn off Find My, and can restore the iPad to factory settings to remove all of your sister's data.

click here ➜ What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If you don't know your sister's Apple ID or password, you will have to request access to her account.

click here ➜ How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple account - Apple Support

Aug 17, 2023 2:55 PM in response to Mimf

The new user, must log out of your sisters ID form the iPad before its deleted. If you wait until its deleted it won't be possible to log off and the iPad will become unusable.

Get Access to her account, have the new owner log out, and then request the deletion of the Apple ID.

click here ➜ How to delete your Apple ID account - Apple Support

Aug 18, 2023 9:04 AM in response to Mimf

Mimf wrote:

She can’t log in using my sister’s Apple ID because we don’t know the password.

Request access to her account: click here ➜ How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple account - Apple Support

Once you have access, they can log off.

You can't have the Apple ID deleted if you don't have access to it.

one of the Apple Techs said to make sure the notepad is turned off and disconnected from wifi bafore any deletion etc is done.

That is not really useful in any way. Having it disconnected will not change anything regarding the logged in Apple ID.

thanks for reminding us of that, Phil.

one person at Apple suggested that because there is NO activation lock on the iPad ( she can see that apparently) that the easiest way to get access to the IPad is to reset it to Factory Defaults
do you see any problems with doing that?

Activation Lock will kick in when its restored to Factory Defaults if the Apple ID is still logged in and Find My is turned on.

If Find My is not turned on, then yes, restoring it will work.

But since they cannot access the iPad or the Apple ID, there is no way to know if Find My is turned on.

Aug 17, 2023 9:40 AM in response to Mimf

If your intention is merely to fully erase the iPad, repeated input of an incorrect Passcode will very likely cause the iPad to automatically erase after ten incorrect Passcodes have been entered.

All locally stored data is encrypted; by design, without the Passcode, data cannot be retrieved from the device. The iPad Passcode unlocks the encryption keys necessary to access local stored data.

Aug 17, 2023 10:39 AM in response to Phil0124

Very helpful, Phil. One mystery solved. Thank you so much.

i have passed along an email to the new owner in Christchurch, NZ regarding the screen code.

We are now waiting for responses from Apple In The US and in New Zealand.regarding deletion of my sister’s Apple Id and password and doing a factory reset.

Aug 18, 2023 8:58 AM in response to Phil0124

She can’t log in using my sister’s Apple ID because we don’t know the password.

one of the Apple Techs said to make sure the notepad is turned off and disconnected from wifi bafore any deletion etc is done.

thanks for reminding us of that, Phil.

one person at Apple suggested that because there is NO activation lock on the iPad ( she can see that apparently) that the easiest way to get access to the IPad is to reset it to Factory Defaults

do you see any problems with doing that?

Aug 18, 2023 10:18 AM in response to Phil0124

I will hold my breath!!

it is just after 5.00am Saturday morning right now in New Zealand.

i am hoping to talk to Pauline live on Messenger at 6.00 pm EDT Friday my time which will be 10.00am Saturday for Pauline in New Zealand.

You must be very tired of me but resetting is the last hurrah so hoping ‘Find My’ is OFF on the IPad.

Your answers have made sense to me in a way that nobody else’s have. Thank you Phil.

Aug 18, 2023 2:50 PM in response to Mimf

Phil - It worked!!

Pauline in New Zealand and I in NC spoke on Messenger video call and went through the process.

Find My was off and she closed it all down again.

I told her the steps to take and it worked!!!

You are the best. I must have called five times for Apple Support in the US and got five different answers!!

Pauline is a happy camper talking to the iPad and going through quick Start!!

Gold Stars to you!!!

IPad Code what is it for?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.