iMac cannot update because error claims device is not connected to the internet, but it is connected?

I need to update my iMac, but when I try to update it says "make sure your computer is connected to the internet". The internet is working fine, but I still can't update my iMac

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 12:51 PM

What is the sub-model and the current macOS of your iMac? They have been in continuous production since 1998 in hundreds of variants that do not share the same update/upgrade possibilities. "About this Mac..." shows that important information:

Remember that we are other end users like you and have no means to see nor remotely access your computer to learn its specs. We rely on you for that. And we are really bad at guessing! 🥴

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2023 12:51 PM in response to djolik

What is the sub-model and the current macOS of your iMac? They have been in continuous production since 1998 in hundreds of variants that do not share the same update/upgrade possibilities. "About this Mac..." shows that important information:

Remember that we are other end users like you and have no means to see nor remotely access your computer to learn its specs. We rely on you for that. And we are really bad at guessing! 🥴

Aug 17, 2023 12:51 PM in response to djolik

Ahh… OK that makes my job ( and ours ) easier

Thanks… your Retina 4K iMac can be upgraded to Catalina, per this link : macOS Catalina is compatible with these computers - Apple Support (CA)

or greater… please note that Catalina breaks all 32- bit support… all apps/software/plugins must be 100% 64-bit and Catalina compatible to work ( and yes, that does include printers)

hope this helps you

John B

iMac cannot update because error claims device is not connected to the internet, but it is connected?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.