System Setting warning message

I keep getting warning message in the upper right corner on my Mac Book Pro screen. The warning says that my iCloud is being hacked. Another warning says I have a virus and it directs me to a website to remove it. I am afraid to click on it. What should I do?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 1:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 1:12 PM

prezin wrote:

I keep getting warning message in the upper right corner on my Mac Book Pro screen. The warning says that my iCloud is being hacked. Another warning says I have a virus and it directs me to a website to remove it. I am afraid to click on it. What should I do?

Well, somewhere along the way, you were offered notifications and usually from browsing some website, and you accepted those.

Here is how to change that setting, and remove the notifications:

Stop unwanted Notifications - Apple Community

You’re not hacked. There are no viruses here. Just unwanted notifications. Unwanted advertisements.

Here are some other common scams:

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2023 1:12 PM in response to prezin

prezin wrote:

Well, somewhere along the way, you were offered notifications and usually from browsing some website, and you accepted those.

Here is how to change that setting, and remove the notifications:

Stop unwanted Notifications - Apple Community

You’re not hacked. There are no viruses here. Just unwanted notifications. Unwanted advertisements.

Here are some other common scams:

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Aug 17, 2023 1:11 PM in response to prezin

Everything you're seeing is nothing but a scam.

Open Safari's preferences. Click on the Websites tab and then scroll down to Notifications. Clear any entries in the right hand window. You might find something similar in the Pop-up Windows heading below that. Block any you don't recognize.

Then if you want, uncheck the box below as shown here.

I personally can't think of any reason why I would ever want any website to push notices to me.

System Setting warning message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.