Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

App specific password and Edison mail at an impasse

First, I have created app specific passwords before without a glitch; I know what they are for and understand the idea behind them.

I subscribed to Edison Mail (which was not cheap) and installed it on my Macbook Pro and on my iPad Pro as well. Then I started adding my many email accounts. This is the feature - the single inbox -- that attracted me in the first place. It all went well until I tried to add my @mac.com address.

EM seems to need an app specific password, so I went to that screen, typed in the app name and hit 'go'. I've tried this many times without getting any farther. The process just stops once I hit 'generate the password'. Instead I get the message you see here. I can go to the settings pages as requested, but there's nothing there to see.

Can some kind soul point me in the right direction? I am generally pretty quick to follow the tech end of things, but then I wrote my doctoral dissertation when Word was still toddling around, in 1986.

PS. This question is about more than one device, but I was forced to pick one alone.

iPad Pro

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 4:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2023 12:49 PM

Hey there and welcome to Apple Support Communities Rosina Lippi-Green,

We can certainly understand your concern and can help provide some insight.

The app itself needs to support sign in with Apple ID feature in order to use an app specific password. We recommend checking out this link for more information on how to use this feature and see if everything matches up.

Sign in to apps with your Apple ID using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

If you are still having the same issue after following this link, then the next best step will be to contact Edison Mail for additional assistance.

How to contact an app developer - Apple Support

Kindest regards!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2023 12:49 PM in response to Rosina Lippi-Green

Hey there and welcome to Apple Support Communities Rosina Lippi-Green,

We can certainly understand your concern and can help provide some insight.

The app itself needs to support sign in with Apple ID feature in order to use an app specific password. We recommend checking out this link for more information on how to use this feature and see if everything matches up.

Sign in to apps with your Apple ID using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

If you are still having the same issue after following this link, then the next best step will be to contact Edison Mail for additional assistance.

How to contact an app developer - Apple Support

Kindest regards!

App specific password and Edison mail at an impasse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.