MagSafe wireless charger gets too warm

Is it normal for MagSafe charger to get too warm while charging? my iPhone 14 stops charging at 84% today for the first. time.

iPhone 14

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 7:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 8:31 PM

It's normal for the MagSafe wireless charger to generate some heat while charging your iPhone. Wireless charging inherently involves energy conversion, which can lead to heat being produced as a byproduct. However, the charger should not become excessively hot to the point where it's uncomfortable to touch or causes concern.

If your MagSafe charger is getting unusually hot, it could be due to a few reasons:

Ambient Temperature: High ambient temperatures can cause electronic devices, including chargers, to feel warmer than usual. If you're in a particularly hot environment, this could contribute to the charger feeling warmer.

Usage Conditions: Using your phone while it's charging can generate more heat, as both the charging process and the phone's activities contribute to the overall temperature.

Charging Behavior: If your iPhone stopped charging at 84%, it might be due to the charging optimization feature introduced in iOS 13, which aims to preserve battery health by limiting charging to 80% in certain situations. However, if this behavior is consistent and you've never experienced it before, it's a good idea to investigate further.

Charger Quality: There might be a possibility that the MagSafe charger itself is malfunctioning, causing it to generate more heat than normal. This could be due to a manufacturing defect or other issues.

Software or Hardware Issues: Occasionally, software bugs or hardware issues can lead to unusual behavior. If this is the first time your iPhone has stopped charging at 84%, it might be worth checking if a software update is available or if any settings have been inadvertently changed.

If the charger is becoming extremely hot or your iPhone consistently stops charging at 84%, I recommend taking the following steps:

Disconnect and Allow to Cool: If the charger is very warm, disconnect it from your phone and let it cool down for a while.

Try a Different Outlet: Plug the charger into a different outlet to rule out any potential issues with the electrical supply.

Check for Updates: Make sure your iPhone's operating system is up to date. Sometimes, software updates can address unexpected behavior.

Inspect Charger: Carefully examine the MagSafe charger for any physical damage or defects that could be causing excessive heat generation. If you suspect the charger might be faulty, consider contacting Apple Support for assistance.

Overall, some warmth is expected during wireless charging, but if the heat is excessive or accompanied by unusual behavior, it's best to investigate further to ensure the safety of your devices.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2023 8:31 PM in response to mochi002

It's normal for the MagSafe wireless charger to generate some heat while charging your iPhone. Wireless charging inherently involves energy conversion, which can lead to heat being produced as a byproduct. However, the charger should not become excessively hot to the point where it's uncomfortable to touch or causes concern.

If your MagSafe charger is getting unusually hot, it could be due to a few reasons:

Ambient Temperature: High ambient temperatures can cause electronic devices, including chargers, to feel warmer than usual. If you're in a particularly hot environment, this could contribute to the charger feeling warmer.

Usage Conditions: Using your phone while it's charging can generate more heat, as both the charging process and the phone's activities contribute to the overall temperature.

Charging Behavior: If your iPhone stopped charging at 84%, it might be due to the charging optimization feature introduced in iOS 13, which aims to preserve battery health by limiting charging to 80% in certain situations. However, if this behavior is consistent and you've never experienced it before, it's a good idea to investigate further.

Charger Quality: There might be a possibility that the MagSafe charger itself is malfunctioning, causing it to generate more heat than normal. This could be due to a manufacturing defect or other issues.

Software or Hardware Issues: Occasionally, software bugs or hardware issues can lead to unusual behavior. If this is the first time your iPhone has stopped charging at 84%, it might be worth checking if a software update is available or if any settings have been inadvertently changed.

If the charger is becoming extremely hot or your iPhone consistently stops charging at 84%, I recommend taking the following steps:

Disconnect and Allow to Cool: If the charger is very warm, disconnect it from your phone and let it cool down for a while.

Try a Different Outlet: Plug the charger into a different outlet to rule out any potential issues with the electrical supply.

Check for Updates: Make sure your iPhone's operating system is up to date. Sometimes, software updates can address unexpected behavior.

Inspect Charger: Carefully examine the MagSafe charger for any physical damage or defects that could be causing excessive heat generation. If you suspect the charger might be faulty, consider contacting Apple Support for assistance.

Overall, some warmth is expected during wireless charging, but if the heat is excessive or accompanied by unusual behavior, it's best to investigate further to ensure the safety of your devices.

Aug 18, 2023 6:33 AM in response to mochi002

mochi002 wrote:

Is it normal for MagSafe charger to get too warm while charging? my iPhone 14 stops charging at 84% today for the first. time.

All that means is that your phone has paused fast charging until it cools off slightly. iPhones have always done this but only recently did Apple start having a notification that tells you this. Unless the phone tells you that it is overheating and it's going to shut down, you're fine.

Apr 6, 2024 5:29 PM in response to 1misundastood1

I have a 13 Pro Max and both my phone and the MagSafe charger get so hot I can’t touch either. I have to detach the charger by giving the charger a quick tug by the cord. I’m really concerned it’s going to catch on fire. Using the basic Apple charging cord plugged in this doesn’t happen. My phone doesn’t get hot. I only use Apple iPhone products, and my phone still charges to 100%. I bought my 13 when it was 1st released and only use it as my means of communication. Should I be concerned?

Apr 27, 2024 1:52 PM in response to AriesComet

Yes that’s concerning, I have a MagSafe Duo Charger and my products all get warm but not hot. I even used my iPhone while charging which you should never do but I did as a one off and even then it didn’t get too hot. However I charged my AirPods with a good man’s charger at a friends the other day and they got very warm. You could still hold them but they shut down temporarily. If you’re having to disconnect your iPhone and charger without touching as it’s too hot then it’s absolutely a fire hazard and it will ruin your iPhone. I think my AirPods have escaped damage on this occasion but I have learnt only ever use Apple chargers or high quality ones like Belkin or anker. You get what you pay for.

MagSafe wireless charger gets too warm

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.