How to stop macOS Monterey from auto-correcting Name to all CAPS?

Mail on MacOS Monterey suddenly started auto-correcting my name to ALL CAPS, every time I type it. This causes me to either have to hit Esc or CMD-Z to ignore or undo the change, and I'm not always successful when typing fast. There seems to be no way to fix this other than turning off auto-capitalization altogether. Apple's UX just keeps getting worse and worse. These "helpful" features are truly annoying!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 19, 2023 4:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2024 3:46 PM

So this was driving me bat**** crazy. I tried messing with keyboard settings etc.

I ended up fixing two things.

1. My contact card had been all capitalized. I changed to Firstname Lastname
  2. (This one had me going) I emailed someone my contact info with my name in ALL CAPS. Siri was finding that email, adding it as a hint in my contact card and "correcting" my name. After I deleted that email, it cleaned up my contact card. Mail stopped putting my name in ALL CAPS.

Look in your contact card and see if Siri is adding hints. If she is, delete them.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2024 3:46 PM in response to Hypraktiv

So this was driving me bat**** crazy. I tried messing with keyboard settings etc.

I ended up fixing two things.

1. My contact card had been all capitalized. I changed to Firstname Lastname
  2. (This one had me going) I emailed someone my contact info with my name in ALL CAPS. Siri was finding that email, adding it as a hint in my contact card and "correcting" my name. After I deleted that email, it cleaned up my contact card. Mail stopped putting my name in ALL CAPS.

Look in your contact card and see if Siri is adding hints. If she is, delete them.

Mar 14, 2024 5:30 PM in response to Hypraktiv

I just started having this problem today, though maybe it's been going for a few days since I don't type my full name every day. I am certain the problem wasn’t occurring a few weeks ago, as I can see in Mail that I wrote some emails in late February in which I included my full name.

Last week I updated to Sonoma 14.4 from whatever the previous version of Sonoma was, so I wonder if that's a factor, though I can see from this discussion, and some others I found online, that other people have had this problem with older versions of macOS.

I have Apple Care + coverage still so I called Apple today and they are working on figuring out a solution. I also I haven't seen any posts by people saying they've talked to Apple support about this problem. If Apple does figure out a solution , I'll post it here.

But it's really frustrating that there's no way to train macOS to stop capitalizing one's name.

Aug 19, 2023 4:47 AM in response to Hypraktiv

1. Check Your Contact Card:
    1. Open the Contacts app on your Mac.
    2. Locate your contact card (the one with your name).
    3. Ensure that your name is spelled correctly with the desired capitalization.
    4. Make sure that your first and last name are correctly entered in their respective fields.
  2. Autocorrect Settings:
    1. Open the "System Preferences" on your Mac.
    2. Click on "Keyboard."
    3. Go to the "Text" tab.
    4. Check the list of text replacements. Look for any entries that might be affecting the capitalization of your name and remove or edit them if necessary.
  3. Mail Preferences:
    1. Open the Mail app on your Mac.
    2. Click on "Mail" in the top menu, then select "Preferences."
    3. Go to the "Composing" tab.
    4. Check the "Capitalize" dropdown menu. Ensure it is set to "None" or "Sentence Case" if you want your name to remain uncapitalized.
  4. Check Spelling and Grammar:
    1. Sometimes, auto-capitalization can be a result of your name being recognized as a proper noun during spell-check. Make sure your name is not added to the dictionary with incorrect capitalization.
  5. Software Updates:
    1. Ensure that your Mac's operating system and the Mail app are up to date. Sometimes, updates can fix issues like this.
  6. Third-Party Apps:
    1. If you use third-party text expansion or autocorrect apps, they might be responsible for the auto-capitalization. Check their settings.
  7. Try a Different Email Client:
    1. If the issue persists and you can't find a solution, you might consider using a different email client as a workaround.

Aug 19, 2023 5:02 AM in response to HtetNaing1699

1. Nothing wrong with my contact card. My name is correctly capitalized.
  2. Text replacement cannot contain spaces. I only have a short list of replacements, but cannot add one that changes "MY NAME" to "My Name" (which is the way I'm typing it), for example (nor vice-versa).
  3. There is no "Capitalize" dropdown menu in Mail on MacOS Monterey.
  4. Sure, it is a proper noun, but PROPER NOUN is not the correct way to capitalize in the English language. You don't say how to check the dictionary, though.
  5. Completely up-to-date.
  6. No third-party apps in use.
  7. This is a ridiculous suggestion, since I'm trying to use the default Mac app. The answer should not be to install a third-party app.

Jan 4, 2024 5:13 AM in response to HtetNaing1699

I have the same problem, as do many others.

Just to be clear: the problem is not with any of the things mentioned above. (Point 4 is not clear, where can you check that?)

Another important point is that this occurs with all of the standard OS apps that check spelling, such as Mail, Notes, Reminders and Text Editor.

And agree with the original author: there is no use case for autocorrecting anything to ALL CAPS. That's why they invented CAPS LOCK.

It's not a serious problem, but just bizarre that no-one seems to have any clue where this is coming from and how to turn it off.

How to stop macOS Monterey from auto-correcting Name to all CAPS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.